Stans Arch tyre recommendations

TomTheHairyBiker
TomTheHairyBiker Posts: 22
edited December 2013 in MTB buying advice
Hi all,

i have just received a shiny new set of stand arch ex on hope hoops and i am about to go tubeless on them! The question i have to anyone who has a set is what tyres have you had the best success with in terms of the fit to the rim and the overall performance (brands and sizes please!)?

Comments

• miceden
    miceden Posts: 225
    Which method will you be using to go tubeless? Yellow rim tape & valve only, or, the actual notubes kit with the spoke tape and moulded rim strips?

To make life easier, and also cleaner, I suggest you go for the notubes kit and use proper tubeless tyres, not tubeless ready or trying to convert standard.

My best experiences have been with Maxxis and then Conti... schwalbe I found very difficult but was trying to convert one of their standard tyres.
  • I was planning on buying the no tubes kit (tape, valves and sealant i think?)

What tyres do you actually run on your bike?
  • lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    I've never had any problems with Scwalbe tyres on my Stan's rims. rim tape, valves and sealant is all you need.
  • What diameter schwalbes were you running Lawman?
  • miceden
    miceden Posts: 225
    Further to my post above I run "Vredestein Black Panther Xtracs", tubeless ready 26.0 x 2.20, on my ZTR Alpines... before that I was running mk1 Conti Mountain King supersonics, standard 26.0 x 2.20, prior to that Maxxis Crossmarks 26.0 x 2.25, before that Schwalbe Racing Ralph Evo 2.1's and Nobby Nic Pacestar 2.25's

- The Maxxis were by far the easiest to seat, had a good bead seal, sealed well and retained pressure;
    - The Conti's were not to bad to seat, relatively good bead seal and mostly retained pressure but were a b****rd to seal, very porous sidewalls;
    - The Vredesteins have been the hardest of all to seat, pig to seal and loose their pressure over the course of 2 or so weeks... I really like the tyre though so now run them with tubes
    - The Schwalbes both seated well, both were hard to seal but more so the RR's, both tended to loose their pressure after 3 weeks.

I do have to say that the conti's and schwalbes I used were all standard non tubeless, lightweight, race versions which can be run tubeless but its not ideal. The tubeless maxxis worked the best.

As you have Stans rims you can just go the yellow rim tape and valve route, persist with it or have a knack for it and it works well, the kit with the moulded rim stripes is by far the easiest though.
  • Thanks for the reply, it was very helpful!

I was thinking about either running either continental MK2's 2.2's or maxxis high rollers 2.35 based on recommendation of ease of use?

Is it essential for them to be folding or kevlar beads instead of wire?