Man down (like a sack of sh*t!) - Brookmill Road

2»

Comments

• I would get it checked out, as you never can tell. I went down on ice on my hip in April and it hurt like buggery but it wasn't fractured. Then I went down on my shoulder in September, it was a little bit sore but I had plenty of movement in all directions and I thought I'd got away with it. I went to the GP after a week or so and he suggested I go to A&E anyway as shoulders can be problematic and it turned out I had "a nasty fracture" of the clavicle.

Surprised to hear of the slippy road conditions. I've been OK so far on the muddy country lanes of Norfolk and Suffolk on 28" Bontrager All Weathers (not my choice of tyre, but they'll do). Cue an off tonight, I imagine...
    Summer: 2012 Trek Madone 3.5
    Winter: 2013 Trek Crockett 5
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    Hot Orange wrote:
    I've been OK so far on the muddy country lanes of Norfolk and Suffolk on 28" Bontrager All Weathers (not my choice of tyre, but they'll do). Cue an off tonight, I imagine...
    28" wide tyres?! No wonder you're fine. Aren't they a bit draggy?
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • EKE_38BPM wrote:
    Hot Orange wrote:
    I've been OK so far on the muddy country lanes of Norfolk and Suffolk on 28" Bontrager All Weathers (not my choice of tyre, but they'll do). Cue an off tonight, I imagine...
    28" wide tyres?! No wonder you're fine. Aren't they a bit draggy?

Ha. I borrowed them from a tractor I passed one morning.
    Summer: 2012 Trek Madone 3.5
    Winter: 2013 Trek Crockett 5
  • gabriel959
    gabriel959 Posts: 4,227
    Sorry to hear that mate.

FWIW I had a crash in September when a squirrel took out a guy in front of me and I landed with my extended ground on the ground. It felt bad that day and the one after but I thought I was in the clear after I had a bone scan a couple of weeks later and that determined that I had broken a couple of bones in my hand/wrist which meant a cast for 6 weeks on my hand, and of course no riding. I probably also damaged my ligaments as it is still a bit annoying sometimes, I went to two different consultants who both said that ligament damage can take up to 6 months to heal.

Good luck!
    x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
    Commuting / Winter rides - Jamis Renegade Expert
    Pootling / Offroad - All-City Macho Man Disc
    Fast rides Cannondale SuperSix Ultegra
  • I went down in October fast right hander "BANG" my tyre blew next thing I know I am on the deck. According to my Garmin I went from 20mph to zero in less than two seconds using my elbow as an anchor.. Full dislocation with a Hills Sach fracture, only been commuting again for the last two weeks.

GWS, definitely get it checked out, I walked back to work and was going to drive home, until I tried to get changed.
  • msmancunia
    msmancunia Posts: 1,415
    If you have broken your wrist, you can always jazz it up like what I have done. Nothing brightens up a Velcro splint like a set of in-your-face red nail varnish :D

Nails.jpg
    Commute: Chadderton - Sportcity
  • cyclingprop
    cyclingprop Posts: 2,426
    msmancunia wrote:
    If you have broken your wrist, you can always jazz it up like what I have done. Nothing brightens up a Velcro splint like a set of in-your-face red nail varnish :D

Nails.jpg

Where is your other hand in this picture? Dirty girl...
    What do you mean you think 64cm is a big frame?
  • msmancunia
    msmancunia Posts: 1,415
    msmancunia wrote:

Nails.jpg

Where is your other hand in this picture? Dirty girl...

I was taking the picture with the other hand!

You have a very dirty mind! :shock: :lol:
    Commute: Chadderton - Sportcity
  • rubertoe
    rubertoe Posts: 3,994
    rubertoe wrote:
    Are the roads really that bad,

I havent had any issues with the roads, or slippage and I am on 28 gatorskins at the moment.

spoke too soon, 3 of us went down on sheet on the same bend. I have a lovely heamatoma.
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
    B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills
  • DrLex
    DrLex Posts: 2,142
    'Twas waaay icy this morning - saw a guy gingerly descend a hill on a hybrid with both legs off pedals and stretched to the side. I was taking it carefully in my 4x4, but still had a c*ck drive a foot or two from my rear bumper for a couple of miles. Almost had him as a tow bar mounting on one corner. :rolleyes:
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    ice hasnt cleared here all day and my plans to turbo got waylaid by household fettling chores, the forecast tonight is for another big storm so the chances are turbo for the foreseeable
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • Thread is useless without pics
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Too nice not to go out today but didn't leave til after 10:30 - and there was still enough ice around that I had to keep to the big roads for the rest of the morning. And even then I still found the odd dodgy looking surface after 3pm.... I'll be glad for the rain and gales to return.....
    Faster than a tent.......
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    Good to see this thread still going. To keep on topic, I foolishly opted for the early ride yesterday morning. Headed out into the hills at 7.30 and it was bambi on ice. Sadly and somewhat inevitably I want down (like a...) somewhere south of Sevenoaks, same side as last time but on best bike (why oh why...) - have managed to patch up tape and saddle and all is well save for a very slightly bent mech hangar. Ripped jacket now stitched up but will need to get someone to look at the hole in the seat of my pants (oo err!). I'm OK though, fortunately the road rash from last time was smothered in vaseline and I didn't land too heavily on my hand.
  • BigMat wrote:
    Good to see this thread still going. To keep on topic, I foolishly opted for the early ride yesterday morning. Headed out into the hills at 7.30 and it was bambi on ice. Sadly and somewhat inevitably I want down (like a...) somewhere south of Sevenoaks, same side as last time but on best bike (why oh why...) - have managed to patch up tape and saddle and all is well save for a very slightly bent mech hangar. Ripped jacket now stitched up but will need to get someone to look at the hole in the seat of my pants (oo err!). I'm OK though, fortunately the road rash from last time was smothered in vaseline and I didn't land too heavily on my hand.

It's good to see you learning from your mistakes... :wink:
    left the forum March 2023
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    The wind violently shook my car on the way to the station this morning there's no way you could have risen in that, not to mention the torrential rain.
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • i came off like the proverbial sack of this time last year, wasn't a particularly icy morning but was cornering at about 20mph, either hit a diesel patch or some ice, bike went from under me so quickly that i managed to hit my left knee directly down on the tarmac before i started to slide over the white line......even now a year later it seems to have knocked the confidence out of me, and cycling to work on boxing day in the first really icy day around here was a challenge to say the least

Dave
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    BigMat wrote:

It's good to see you learning from your mistakes... :wink:

To be fair, I reckon I'd have been fine if I hadn't had to brake sharply to avoid the guy who hit the deck in front of me. But yeah, need to get some fat tyres (or maybe just check the weather forecast).
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,707
    Can we not replicate last year where virtually everyone on here fell off at some point.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,324
    Can we not replicate last year where virtually everyone on here fell off at some point.
    Yes please.
    When asking the EPO what her favourite bits of 2013 were she did mention me not having any stupid accidents as being a major plus.