Do some riders have hot hands?

Semantik
Semantik Posts: 537
edited December 2013 in The cake stop
Saw about four people riding bikes today(commuters by their appearance) who ,despite the temperature being only 3 to 4 Celsius in these parts were not wearing gloves of any kind. The explanation can't be that they can't afford them as you can get a pair of builder's or gardening gloves for about £1. So why do they ride without them?
It seems weird to me.
Next thing you know we'll be seeing people wearing shorts when it gets down to freezing. That is even more weird.

Comments

• brearley
    brearley Posts: 165
    i've not worn gloves yet this year. I consider myself quite normal but when out wearing gloves in around 2 degree temperature in december or January last year my hands started to sweat after 30 minutes so took them off.
    A few years ago I was referred to this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hunter%27s_Response
  • Semantik wrote:
    Next thing you know we'll be seeing people wearing shorts when it gets down to freezing. That is even more weird.
    It was 4.6 degrees yesterday, according to my Garmin, and I was in baselayer + long sleeve jersey, bib shorts with full length running tights over the top. And full-finger gloves. I was a bit on the cold side at times.

Coming past me was a guy in bib shorts, a flapping cotton t-shirt, no gloves.

Now that looked weird.
    Is the gorilla tired yet?
  • I wear gloves all year around, even if just finger less gloves. Nice thick gloves at this time of year though.
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    I wear gloves or mitts for extra grip mainly. This time if year I wear full gloves as in the countryside the temperature plunges when the sun goes in. Also the very rapid speed I go at creates a large windchill factor ;)
  • crispybug2
    crispybug2 Posts: 2,915
    I wear gloves all year round, if I feel like going out without them then I merely glance at my left hand and the still visible scar line (20 years after the event) and I'm instantly reminded why I'll always gloves for as long as I ride a bike!!
  • Semantik
    Semantik Posts: 537
    brearley wrote:
    i've not worn gloves yet this year. I consider myself quite normal but when out wearing gloves in around 2 degree temperature in december or January last year my hands started to sweat after 30 minutes so took them off.
    A few years ago I was referred to this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hunter%27s_Response

The closing comments in that Wiki text suggest however, that you might be better off wearing those gloves rather than taking them off. Motorcyclists sweat inside their leathers in the summer but most wouldn't ride ride without them for safety reasons.
    Gloves protect you in a crash.
  • Semantik wrote:
    It was 4.6 degrees yesterday, according to my Garmin, and I was in baselayer + long sleeve jersey, bib shorts with full length running tights over the top. And full-finger gloves. I was a bit on the cold side at times.

Coming past me was a guy in bib shorts, a flapping cotton t-shirt, no gloves.

Now that looked weird.

To be fair thats London. Try riding like that up here it'll be August before you thaw out.