Best 29er Wheelset around £150-£200

iLukeKendall
iLukeKendall Posts: 160
edited December 2013 in MTB buying advice
Hi all,

So I'm considering purchasing a new wheelset after ongoing issues with my freehub (cheapy Formula hubs that came with my bike which I'm struggling to find replacement parts for).

I've been looking at these Mavic CrossOne's on CRC: http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/mavic-crossone-mtb-wheelset-2014/rp-prod111099.

Do they look any good, or would you recommend something better? I need 29er rims, ideally quick release. They'd also need to cope with a 9 speed cassette.

Thanks for any advice!
Whyte 29-CS • Canyon Ultimate • #CCWMTB • Strava Profile

Comments

• warpcow
    warpcow Posts: 1,448
    Crossones are pretty basic. For your budget you'll get SLX of XT hubs built into a nice rim with good spokes from one of the German stores (action-sports.de, bike-discount.de, rosebikes.co.uk). If you go factory built for that price I'd look for Fulcrum wheels, or maybe Shimano (I got some MT55s for about £100 from Merlin the other month and they seem decent, if a bit heavy).
  • tarbot18
    tarbot18 Posts: 531
    If your after Mavic have a look at the crossrides good wheels for the money also the bearings are sealed and easy to change, you should get a set for about £200 .
    Also look on superstars site they doing good deals on wheelsets .
    The family that rides together stays together !

Boardman Comp 29er 2013

Whyte T129s 2014 viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12965414&p=18823801&hilit=whyte+t129s#p18823801

Road Scott speedster s50 2011
  • pastey_boy
    pastey_boy Posts: 2,083
    Viner Salviati
    Shark Aero Pro
    Px Ti Custom
    Cougar 531
    Sab single speed
    Argon 18 E-112 TT
    One-one Ti 456 Evo
    Ridley Cheetah TT
    Orange Clockwork 2007 ltd ed
    Yeti ASR 5
    Cove Hummer XC Ti
  • Thanks for the advice guys.
    tarbot18 wrote:
    If your after Mavic have a look at the crossrides good wheels for the money also the bearings are sealed and easy to change, you should get a set for about £200 .
    Also look on superstars site they doing good deals on wheelsets .

I'm not specifically after Mavic, however they seem to be one of the more reliable brands from what I've read, and the prices are reasonable for their wheelsets. I did look at the CrossRides, and they seem like they could be a better option, especially after I've just found out the pawls are serviceable (ie. not a sealed freehub which is the problem I have at the moment). Are the sealed bearings easy to come by? How much are they roughly? The only thing that annoys me a bit about the CrossRides, is they don't seem to be available in 29er quick release, only 15mm Front & 142mm x 12mm Rear - is there a benefit to this over QR? Thanks!
    pastey_boy wrote:

Thanks. Are Selcof wheels any good? I've never heard of them before!
  • raldat
    raldat Posts: 242
    I have Mavic Cross rides on my Canyon 29er. No problem with them for the most part but the SLX cassette that came on it has chewed out the free hub terribly. After 9 months I cannot even get it off without a very big hammer.

Not sure if this is normal but I will need to replace it very soon.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    With an aluminium freehub, quite common.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Hmm, so now the Cross Rides don't sound so great, especially as the only 29er options seems to be with a maxle, but my frame has normal QR dropouts.

I really don't know what to go for. Everything I look at has significant flaws!
  • warpcow
    warpcow Posts: 1,448
    warpcow wrote:
    For your budget you'll get SLX of XT hubs built into a nice rim with good spokes from one of the German stores (action-sports.de, bike-discount.de, rosebikes.co.uk). If you go factory built for that price I'd look for Fulcrum wheels, or maybe Shimano (I got some MT55s for about £100 from Merlin the other month and they seem decent, if a bit heavy).

Actionsports have some excellent deals that are well within budget, with plenty of options for decent Mavic or DT rims.
  • warpcow wrote:
    warpcow wrote:
    For your budget you'll get SLX of XT hubs built into a nice rim with good spokes from one of the German stores (action-sports.de, bike-discount.de, rosebikes.co.uk). If you go factory built for that price I'd look for Fulcrum wheels, or maybe Shimano (I got some MT55s for about £100 from Merlin the other month and they seem decent, if a bit heavy).

Actionsports have some excellent deals that are well within budget, with plenty of options for decent Mavic or DT rims.

Thanks warpcow. I've just taken a look, and found these... would you suggest these are any good?

http://www.actionsports.de/gb/Wheels/Wheelset-Specials/MTB-Disc-29er/Shimano-XT-Disc-756-6-Loch-DT-Swiss-XR-400-Laufradsatz-29er::61502.html
  • edhornby
    edhornby Posts: 1,780
    XT hub, sapim race spoke, good DT swiss rim for less than200quid? kerching

the rim is designed for xc rather than big jumping action but it's a 29er wheel built for german riding so not surprising really...

EDIT=189 euros is 160 quid !!!
    "I get paid to make other people suffer on my wheel, how good is that"
    --Jens Voight
  • edhornby wrote:
    XT hub, sapim race spoke, good DT swiss rim for less than200quid? kerching

the rim is designed for xc rather than big jumping action but it's a 29er wheel built for german riding so not surprising really...

EDIT=189 euros is 160 quid !!!

Thanks Ed! It does seem like a great price! Do the XT hubs make a ridiculous amount of clicking noise when they freewheel, or are they fairly silent? The one good thing about my current ones are they are completely silent!

Regarding XC use, that's all it'll really be used for. There is one ride I go on where I need to jump moorland drainage ditches, but the cheapy Bontrager AT 850's that came with the bike have held up well so far, so I'd hope these would be better.
  • I use Mavic Crossrides on my 29er, no issues with them, and I'm 95kg, and fairly hard on wheels, they have a bit of flex (but then, what 29er wheel doesn't). They are decent budget wheels.

Apparently some Fulcrum ones (can't remember model, maybe red metal or something like that?) for about £200 are good also, a friend of mine uses them, he's very happy with his.
  • raldat
    raldat Posts: 242
    cooldad wrote:

Thanks for the note Cooldad. At least I know it is normal. Totally happy with the wheels otherwise.

By the way, to the OP, you can get adapters for QR. mine has a maxel front and QR back and it came with adapters for the back. Seem to work just fine.
  • I use Mavic Crossrides on my 29er, no issues with them, and I'm 95kg, and fairly hard on wheels, they have a bit of flex (but then, what 29er wheel doesn't). They are decent budget wheels.

Apparently some Fulcrum ones (can't remember model, maybe red metal or something like that?) for about £200 are good also, a friend of mine uses them, he's very happy with his.

Thanks Matty. I don't really need something super tough, all I really ride is XC, sometimes on rougher terrain but no stupidly big drops. The cross rides and cross trails look good, it's just difficult to make a decision when every one I look at, people moan something hasn't been too good with them. All I really need is a set better than the Bontrager AT 850's with Formula DC22 hubs that came on my bike - the freehub has broken and I can't seem to source a replacement.
    raldat wrote:
    cooldad wrote:

Thanks for the note Cooldad. At least I know it is normal. Totally happy with the wheels otherwise.

By the way, to the OP, you can get adapters for QR. mine has a maxel front and QR back and it came with adapters for the back. Seem to work just fine.

Raldat - ah okay, that makes sense. I did find an online shop that did have the QR version available (I'm guessing they just come with the adapters). When you mentioned the aluminium freehub, do the crossrides come with one of these, ie. are they more prone to freehub problems? The whole reason I'm looking to upgrade is due to freehub issues with my current tyres!