Which puncture kit?

desmorrow
desmorrow Posts: 115
edited December 2013 in MTB buying advice
hardly a matter of life and death but was wondering what you guys use to repair punctures. I'm still on the glue, but I saw these glueless patches look value at 12 for £1.79. Do the job?

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/lifeline-self-a ... 5360510021

Comments

• I prefer proper vulcanising
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Spare tubes for repairs on the ride and fix the punctures at home.
    I also like proper vulcanised repairs. One kit is as good as another.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    +1 sticky potato.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • john2002
    john2002 Posts: 158
    All ways carry a spare tube in case of damage around the valve etc also its quicker than having to repaire the innertube. But I also carry and have used the no glue patches .many different brands all seam to do a good job..quick and easy to use
    GT Avalanche 1.0 Disc 2011, Fixie, frankenbike
  • paul.skibum
    paul.skibum Posts: 4,068
    I had some glueless patches or self adhesive if you prefer - I found them to be pretty crap to be honest - either not sticky enough (wet days = wet tubes = no stick) or not flexible enough - may be better now.

I use the blob on glue, light it with a lighter, blow out, stick on patch, blob on more glue, light again, blow out and sprinkle wiht chalk - not failed me yet. But I generally save the repairs for quiet time in front of the tele and carry a spare tube on the trail.
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.
  • I think the Parks glueless patches are excellent and have used them for a while now.
  • bartimaeus
    bartimaeus Posts: 1,812
    +1 for Park patches. I do carry a spare tube (2 on longer rides in winter), and I'd agree that patches are less good if it is very wet so it is worth carrying some paper towel. But the patches work well most of the time and they are handy as a back-up if you run out of tubes (which you will if, for example, you help someone out who has a double puncture and a 5 miles walk back to their car).
    Vitus Sentier VR+ (2018) GT Grade AL 105 (2016)
    Giant Anthem X4 (2010) GT Avalanche 1.0 (2010)
    Kingley Vale and QECP Trail Collective - QECP Trail Building