Mavic R SYS SLR WTS Clincher Wheelset ?

How Far is too Far
How Far is too Far Posts: 534
edited December 2013 in Road buying advice
Been offered a set of Mavic R SYS SLR WTS Clincher that have less than 500 use.

But have just done a bit or research on here and a few seem to have had problems, are they really that bad?

I am 80kg and have ran a set or Ksyrium Elites for the last 2 years and have never had a single problem in over 10,000 miles. Also run a set of RS80s on my Cross bike again never had a problem in 3,000 miles.

Are the Mavic SYS likely to give me trouble?

Thanks

Comments

• Grill
    Grill Posts: 5,610
    Aside from them eating pads, replacement parts being stupid expensive, having the aerodynamics of a brick, the history of spoke failure (albeit allegedly rectified) and the Tracomp system being poorly designed and a liability, they're a fine set of wheels.
    English Cycles V3 | Cervelo P5 | Cervelo T4 | Trek Domane Koppenberg
  • Hmm, so maybe I am better of giving them a miss :-)

They do look nice and they are light though
  • Grill
    Don't let me put you off though. Lots of people ride them with no issue, I was simply highlighting what could happen.
  • FatTed wrote:

A 2009 review of a different set of wheels.
  • OP if you're dissuaded by the above feel free to forward the seller's details via PM as I'm looking for a second set for my C59 build.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Mine are fab and soooooooo sexy. Just make sure they are the MK II's. Have not heard of any problems with them.
  • Grill wrote:
    Aside from them eating pads

Excellent braking on these wheels.
    "You really think you can burn off sugar with exercise?" downhill paul
  • Grill
    Oh I agree, but the pad wear isn't the greatest, especially when you're supposed to use the Mavic ones and set them up for a lot of toe.
  • Grill wrote:
    Oh I agree, but the pad wear isn't the greatest, especially when you're supposed to use the Mavic ones and set them up for a lot of toe.

Exallith 2 and improved pads means minimal toe in and a cool 'rrroooooommm' sound.
  • Grill
    Well that's nice to hear. Now if only they could ditch Tracomp...
  • markyone
    markyone Posts: 1,119
    OP if you're dissuaded by the above feel free to forward the seller's details via PM as I'm looking for a second set for my C59 build.
    Nice wheels I was looking at getting some as well.
    Hows the build going?
    mine should be here jan or feb
    Colnago c60 Eps super record 11
    Pinarello F8 with sram etap
  • markyone wrote:
    OP if you're dissuaded by the above feel free to forward the seller's details via PM as I'm looking for a second set for my C59 build.
    Nice wheels I was looking at getting some as well.
    Hows the build going?
    mine should be here jan or feb

Almost got all my bits now Mark and I've read, re read the EPS installation manual and watched the vids. D-day is looming :-)
  • Another happy SLR user here, probably done about 8000 miles on two sets of wheels. Despite a couple of wheelbuilders on here perpetuating the myth that 'spares are hard to come by' and 'will be expensive' when they break, the failure rate is very low.

I've also go a set of very high quality handbuilts but the Mavics out-perform them.
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • Despite a couple of wheelbuilders on here perpetuating the myth that 'spares are hard to come by' and 'will be expensive' when they break, the failure rate is very low.

Agree, the failure rate is probably pretty low, then it's a matter of agreeing how low is low... for some will be 1% for others 20% is low.

Disagree: it's not a myth... if you do fall in the 1% or 20% whatever that is, spares are not readily sourced and are extremely expensive. In the case of the SLR that makes sense, as the wheelset is extremely expensive to start with, so one should assume that parts come at a premium and should budget for this eventuality if buying second hand.

So, should the OP buy the SLR? If he likes them, then he should buy them... so long as he knows that a second hand product does not come with any form of warranty. There are still many around that think that a warranty is automatically transferred, as it's the case for second hand cars... manufacturer warranty and retailer's warranty are separate things and not to be confused
    left the forum March 2023
  • Excellent wheels and at your weight you will have no problem with them OP

I'm also considering purchasing a second set