CO2 Gas v mini pump

apc1
apc1 Posts: 49
edited December 2013 in Road buying advice
Hi All

Just getting into road biking and buying some new kit for extended days riding. Is it better to get a CO2 Gas thingy or a mini pump? How long will a gas thingy last or how many times will one gas can inflate a tyre from flat?

Budget for either is c£20.

Comments

• Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    One use per inflation.

I can highly recommend the Lezyne mini pump. Have never used mine because I have only used Co2 when out and track pump when at home, but its a great mini pump :P
  • dowtcha
    dowtcha Posts: 442
    Recommend the lezyne mini pump as well. I dont carry Co2 as I do nearly all solo riding and have nobody waiting on me.
    About 140 stroke to get to 90 psi. The lezyne is small, light and well made. Also comes with a hose so you dont break the valve.
  • Plus one for the mini pump...
  • Anonymous
    I guess it depends how many punctures you plan on getting and what riding you do.

I have not used a mimi pump in years but still have one as a back up.

I have never run out of gas but I can imagine running out of steam if I had to pump up 2 tyres/tubes with a hand pump.
  • stueys
    stueys Posts: 1,332
    Top peak rocket if I had to run just one. At this time of year I have a rocket and gas, less time standing around if I do puncture.
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    The only pump I want to carry are Topeak frame fit pump you know the long ones as high pressures achieved quickly. I only have pump pegs on two bikes so on the other two and my MTB's I carry a Topeak dual pump i.e hand pump and CO2 inflator. Given the pump is small I always end using the CO2 as if I have to pump I want it over and done with quickly.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    CO2 isn't 100% reliable IME - so unless you're riding with others with a pump, you're stuffed. I've been on group rides where everyone else was on gas, except we weren't after the 8th puncture...
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Carbonator wrote:

I have never run out of gas but I can imagine running out of steam if I had to pump up 2 tyres/tubes with a hand pump.

really??
  • Anonymous
    Imposter wrote:
    Carbonator wrote:

really??

Yep, I would be missing my Co2 if I had to manually pump up tyres up after changing two tubes.

Friend had a double blow out and it was a lot easier (and cooler 8) ) reloading the Co2 :wink:

To the OP, you need to up your budget and buy both, then try Co2 first the next time you have a puncture. Only then will you know if the pump is for emergency use only :wink:

There is no point in asking on here when it will only cost you a few pounds to find out for yourself.
    Co2 users will say that Co2 and pumps are great depending on the situation, but pump only users will be very anti Co2.
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    The inflator I have doubles as a pump so I carry as many canisters as I have tubes. I have also found some canister and some inflators don't like each other for example SKS inflator just leaked the GI canister I had while the generic and cheaper canisters I later bought worked fine. I would not rely on CO2 alone though a pump as a back up is a good idea.

Then again I have learnt after a few sundays ago you can get 4 puunctures in a ride (4 seperate slashes or big holes) so now I have to carry 4 inner tubes.

Yes find out for yourself what you prefer who should be doing that anyway.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    I just carry a mini pump as it can be used as often as needed. Also the puncture resistant 4 seasons tyres help as well.
  • Air is neutrally bouyant, CO2 has negative bouyancy, so it will make your wheels heavier.

;-)
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    Kajjal wrote:
    I just carry a mini pump as it can be used as often as needed. Also the puncture resistant 4 seasons tyres help as well.

I carry both - the mini pump is permanently on the bike - the CO2 is there in case I'm in a hurry - of course, neither helps if you haven't got the appropriate tubes ...
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    Slowbike wrote:
    Kajjal wrote:

I carry both - the mini pump is permanently on the bike - the CO2 is there in case I'm in a hurry - of course, neither helps if you haven't got the appropriate tubes ...

I always carry at least two inner tubes, it is bad enough in the cold just fitting a new inner tube without getting the puncture repair kit out :)