Learning to repair/restore bikes

Oxtail
Oxtail Posts: 8
edited May 2015 in Workshop
Hi
Like many people I've ridden bikes for the last 30 years, nothing expensive or flash but more your average £200 bike for fun. I did the UK Coast to Coast last year and enjoyed it so much, I've decided to plan a holiday with my 13 year old son in France this summer on road bikes.

We've bought two old road bikes in need of a lot of TLC with the plan of pulling them apart and putting them back together to get the bikes roadworthy, but also to learn how everything works as apart from punctures, I've not really got my hands dirty before.

So, now we have two bikes and a Haynes manual, but as always at the start of these kinds of projects, I'm wondering what to start first! Plan is to effectively strip the bike down to the frame, clean/replace parts to be left with a roadworthy bike we've sorted outselves, before heading to France for 2 weeks in the summer.

Any advice as where to being, or what to focus on first?

Thanks

JW

Comments

• owenlars
    owenlars Posts: 719
    When I did my course we did things in this order

Remove wheels and strip and repack bearings inc remove cassette
    Remove cables and outers
    Remove brakes
    Remove chain
    Take rear derailleur off
    Take front derailleur off
    Remove cranks take out and repackage (or replace) bb bearings
    Take off handle bar and remove brakes
    Loosen off headset and remove front forks.

So we learnt about each element in that order and replaced everything in the reverse order. It doesn't matter what order you do things in as long as you know how to put something back before you remove it. Also make sure you have all the obvious spares in the right size. Headsets are a favourite to get in the wrong size and or type, also ball bearings for bearings. You will also need the right tools especially stuff like crank pullers, cassette tool, chainwhip, Allen keys and bottom bracket tools. Put things like headset components onto a piece of string in the order they came off, it will save a lot of head scratching later.
  • Do yourself a massive favour and buy a proper workstand it will be the best £100 you will ever spend. It's going to take a lot of time to learn how to get this right, you will make mistakes and will have to re do stuff....all of which will be a lot easier and a lot less frustrating using a work stand than it would be kneeling on the floor or doing it with bike upside down.
    What's your budget for tools? Do you have any?
  • You will need as a minimum......
    Workstand
    Set of Allen keys
    An adjustable wrench
    A specific lock ring tool (which one depends on what's on the bike)
    A chain whip
    A crank removal tool (which one depends on what's on the bike)
    A bottom bracket tool (which one depends on what's on the bike)
    Cable and housing cutter
    Chain tool
    Cone wrenches
    Depending on the headset you may need headset spanners

Ditch the Haynes manual, all you need is you tube, the park tool website this forum and patience :-)
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Something like this is the best place to start - doesn't have everything listed but it will have most. Worth looking at alternatives though as you might find some have the BB tool you need and some not etc etc.

Some folk do turn up their noses at these kits but I've renovated several bikes in the same way you are looking to (from a position of knowing nothing about cycle maintenance). The only problems with the tool kit have been the chain tool and cassette tool. Over four and a half years and about 38000 miles of cycling the kit has done sterling service and whilst they aren't the highest quality, when I replaced the cassette tool with a Park one, I found the Park one was noticeably inferior in design and quality!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/IceToolz-New- ... 1e6b7f1c7e
    Faster than a tent.......
  • One thing I would thoroughly recommend if you are not used to taking apart bikes, is to take as many pictures as you can along the way. This way you can refer back to how everything looked before you started!
  • Moonbiker
    Moonbiker Posts: 1,706
    Post pic ups of the bikes here & there current spec what you want to do/improve might be useful for people to offer advice
  • StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    You don't need the manual. My first road bike I had built up by the LBS. Having built my own since, I realise how simple it is and what a complete waste of money it is paying someone else to do it for you if you have access to the tools. There's no mystic art and you'll find as you strip the bikes down, you'll see how simple the process is. If you're intending to repair parts, then access to the internet in the workshop would be useful. Most of building the bike up is intuitive in my experience. Like suspension on motorcycles, some people view indexing gears as a black art, but look at the online videos that are widely available and it soon becomes second nature.

On the subject of tools and equipment; I wouldn't go out and spend a small fortune on everything. Walk in to the workshop of your LBS and you'd pass out at the expanse of tools on display. Buy the bits you need for the two bikes you intend working on for a start. Decide what type of work stand you want too. Many people opt for one that holds the bike by the seat tube but I personally prefer working on one that holds the bike from below and is adjustable for height and rotates.
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.
  • Thanks for those responses; it’s good to get encouragement from the beginning!

I’ve got a half decent work stand which will make life a lot easier, and whilst have general tools (allen keys etc) plan to pick up a cycle tool kit in the sales. I’ll stick to a ‘lower end’ kit initially however if I really get into it then will perhaps invest in some longer term kit.

I’ll stick a photo of the first bike up at the weekend, it’s nothing special but to my untrained eye it’s a good Raleigh frame which I can get up and running again with some time and effort. The second bike isn’t branded from memory (or has been painted over), but is surprising fast to ride already, although again will need work doing before I’m happy relying upon it!

Like the idea about taking loads of pictures about what goes where, normally I’ve taken something apart before realising that pics would have been a good idea!
  • oldbazza
    oldbazza Posts: 646
    Another vote here for a decent work stand and the right tools helps as well :roll: .

Also imo the Haynes manual is a bit poor,found much better instructions and tutorials online.
    Ridley Helium SL (Dura-Ace/Wheelsmith Aero-dimpled 45 wheels)

Light Blue Robinson(105 +lots of Hope)

Planet X XLS 1X10(105/XTR/Miche/TRP Spyre SLC brakes

Graham Weigh 105/Ultegra
  • I'd recomend getting The Big Blue Book of Bike Repair from Park Tools, usually £15 - £20.
    Covers everything you need to know in really easy to follow steps.

8) 8) 8)
  • CStar
    CStar Posts: 63
    You will need as a minimum......
    Workstand
    Set of Allen keys
    An adjustable wrench
    A specific lock ring tool (which one depends on what's on the bike)
    A chain whip
    A crank removal tool (which one depends on what's on the bike)
    A bottom bracket tool (which one depends on what's on the bike)
    Cable and housing cutter
    Chain tool
    Cone wrenches
    Depending on the headset you may need headset spanners

Ditch the Haynes manual, all you need is you tube, the park tool website this forum and patience :-)

+1 for Youtube. Little you need to do that isn't on there. For older bikes sheldonbrown.com is another brilliantly useful site.

Enjoy it. I'm just finishing the rebuild of an old 1970's Tourer. It's been as educational as it has been fun and no worries about doing something wrong and wrecking a fancy pants piece of kit!
    MTB: Self-built Santa Cruz Highball Alloy 10 Spd Deore.
    Winter: Emmelle 1980's Reynolds Steel retro
    Summer: Specialized Secteur Elite w. upgrades.
    Commuter: Fausto Coppi San Remo
  • Oxtail
    So, messy pic attached of Bike 1 for refurbishment.

I picked up a decent tool kit over xmas, and the plan is to strip and refurbish the bike so it's a fast and smooth ride.

Thanks for previous suggestions, I'll take them all on board, but any advice welcomed!

JW
  • arlowood
    arlowood Posts: 2,561
    Just an observation

If the posted pic is of the bike as it has been ridden up to now then I would suggest that the frame is probably too big for you or your son. Normally you would expect to see at least some of the seatpost showing when the saddle is adjusted optimally for a good pedalling action.

Other than that, are you planning to retain the downtube shifters or switch to combined STI type shifters? There are arguments either way - just depends on how "authentic" you want the rebuild to be
  • shmooster
    shmooster Posts: 335
    +1, that looks like a frame for someone who's well over 6', recipe for a very sore back for someone smaller.
  • jotko
    jotko Posts: 457
    I am in the market for a workstand - lots of talk of getting a 'decent' one, but what does that actually mean??

I have a full carbon evenrything road bike and a steel commuter (if that is relevant)
  • Oxtail
    Can't believe where time has gone...anyway the comments about the bike frame were totally accurate and on reflection it was too big, so I've got hold of a different frame which is the perfect size.

My plan is to continue to totally strip the bike down, and build it up as a single speed (flip flop hub). I'll be looking this weekend online for a rear wheel with the hub and other bits and pieces.