Sunset Bikes

Nick Cod
Nick Cod Posts: 321
edited December 2013 in MTB general
So for the past three years or so I’ve been toying with the idea of buying a Zesty. Having seen the 2014 range I was a little disappointed to see they had all moved away from a 26” wheel. Not that I’m knocking those who want to go for a larger wheel but I’ll stick with 26” for now and leave the larger rims on the road bike

So faced with the dilemma of waiting again and be pushed towards second hand only, I decided to click the buy button. I had been looking at Sunset bikes for some time but at the last minute I found another UK outfit offering the Zesty 414 cheaper also with the option of interest free over two years. I decided to give sunset the chance to respond so mailed them and set them the link to the cheaper advert. The initial response I got was basically no way unless you’re going to buy the bike outright

A little taken a back I thought I’d mail them again to give them one more chance. I suggested in my email they hadn’t really looked at the link and unless they gave me a reason to buy from them I’d make my purchase elsewhere. I didn’t really expect a response but to my joy I received the below email

Hi Nick Cod

I have to admit to only having a quick look at the link you provided but I have checked with my boss who is happy to sell you a Zesty 414 for £2099 with finance for up to a maximum of 24 months. We have lowered the price on the Zesty 414 in size 48cm for 24 hours, so if you would like to order the bike please use the link below and we’ll sort the rest out from here

Warm Regards
Andrew, Sunset Cycles

Working in sales I appreciate the efforts Sunset went to, to close the deal. My hats off to them and credit where credit is due, if anyone at Sunset is reading this thank you guys, pleasure doing business with you

So I am now the proud owner of a Zesty 414 which arrived with me yesterday. The reviews said to change the tyres but I’ll see how they fair over the coming weeks, may swap for Conti Mountain King twos, but we’ll see, watch this space

Pictures to follow shortly
2016 Cube Agree C:62 SLT DISC
2013 Cayo Evo 3
2013 Zesty 414
2002 Avalanche 0.0
2018 Vitus Substance v2 105 Gravel

Comments

• Sunset cycles in Cardiff?

If so I recently used them when i bought two bikes for my son and myself. I've also bought a few extras from them to upgrade and add on. My last purchase was a new tyre for my 29er, which would not lose it's egg shape no matter how hard i tried. The tyre was bought saturday afternoon and failed the fitting on saturday night. I decided not to wait for the shop to open on sunday and took my 26er to fod instead. My mrs took the tyre back whilst i was out. They had no problem in swapping the tyre without any fuss and even offered to fit the replacement tyre onto the wheel if i wanted.

There have been other communications with them when i may have needed some help but didn't end up needing it.

I can say they are a friendly and knowledgable bunch who now have my custom from now on. It's always good to find somewhere independant to use no matter what there business is when they get things right.

http://www.sunsetmtb.co.uk/
    I don't know enough to make smart r's remarks about peoples choice of parts 'n' things, yet!
  • Why didn't you just buy it from the other "UK Outfit" if they were offering exactly what you bought from Sunset?
    Maybe I've missed something, I don't know.

Anyway, Sunset are good, bit pricey though.
  • Excellent bunch asked for money off the bike as it was mail order and would have to pay for a 6 week service gave me £100 off for two full services. :D Then as bike was taking longer than expected they said list what accessories I want for £100 for free or £100 for kashima upgrade on forks. Chose the accessories as wasn't fussed about the suspension upgrade. Didn't have everything I wanted so gave me similar which happened to be better and cost more around £150.
    Always been friendly when contacting them and helpful. Emailed them Regarding the suspension recall and they are paying for the postage upto £10 and sorting it all out for me. So all in all can't fault them. :D
  • Nick Cod
    Nick Cod Posts: 321
    Just to respond to Northern Monkey. The reason I didn’t buy from the other place was Sunset ended up beating the price so gave me a better deal. There was some uncertainty about the size as I wasn’t sure whether to go for a 43cm or 48cm. I went for the 48cm but the shop kindly said we’ll put 43cm aside for you if you find it’s too big and want to swap it out

However I’m pleased to say size is spot on

Now just counting down the days till the weekend and crossed fingers for good weather
    2016 Cube Agree C:62 SLT DISC
    2013 Cayo Evo 3
    2013 Zesty 414
    2002 Avalanche 0.0
    2018 Vitus Substance v2 105 Gravel
  • welshkev
    welshkev Posts: 9,690
    Nick Cod wrote:
    Just to respond to Northern Monkey. The reason I didn’t buy from the other place was Sunset ended up beating the price so gave me a better deal.

but I think NM was just asking that if you could get it from X shop for the price you were willing to pay why go through all the emails back and forth?

if it was for the sole purpose of getting a better deal, good on you 8) but if it wasn't why not just buy it from the first place you saw it? :?