Cube Agree v Litening

defride
defride Posts: 277
edited December 2013 in Road buying advice
Having ridden MTBs for years I took to the road during the back end of the summer. I bought a 2013 Cube Agree Race and have thoroughly enjoyed riding it, I've managed my first couple of metric 100's and done about 750 miles since the begining of September. Been out for a couple of weeks with illness and find it's not the MTB that I'm chomping to get back out on but the road bike. 2014 I'd hope to enter some sportives, push on to imperial 100s and perhaps venture to the alps in the summer.

The opportunity to upgrade has arisen. I could put some really nice wheels and finishing kit on the existing bike, I do enjoy riding it, or, for similar possibly even less money sell the current bike and buy a 2014 Litening Pro. The geometry is the same, frame is lighter and probably stiffer and other than the wheels the componentry is as good as I'll ever need.

Of course I could also just enjoy what I have and pocket the cash?

What do you reckon?

Comments

• keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Boring I know, but I'd only replace stuff that's worn out or broken. If your bike is still working I'd keep the money.
  • I have the GTC Race and put Planet X 52mm clinchers on, a definite improvement on the Eastons. PX are doing 50mm clinchers for £299 today.

null-12.jpg

viewtopic.php?f=40044&t=12905246&p=18454126&hilit=gtc+race#p18454126
  • defride
    Looks good Supermurph09. Good to hear you've noticed an improvement using the wheels, thanks also for the heads up. Not sure they're the right wheel for me, I like the hills and I'm not sure how they'd fair decending in the Alps. My thoughts are to look at light climbing oriented wheels.

I had a look at your link, re tyres, not sure if you're aware but there has been a recall on the tyres, these steel bead versions have popped of the rim in some cases. My LBS has a replacement pair of kevlar bead Ultremo's ready to collect tomorrow.

I guess in addition to the comments in the original post my quandry is this. I don't really 'need' any more bike. However I'm also aware from experience that a nicer bike is generally more pleasureable to ride, as long as it's affordable I don't neccessarily have a problem with the idea of of an upgrade.

Does anyone have direct experience of the Agree v Litening?
  • I own 2 Cubes - an alimimium Aerial, which I've upgraded the wheels on, and a carbon Litening, ditto. While the Litening is a fabulous bike - it has old style Ultegra Groupset, and I've added a pair of Zipp 30 wheels - the performance level difference beteween it and the (much) cheaper Aerial is not THAT noticeable, but that's based on my riding abilities and not anyone elses. Yes the Litening is the bike I'll use for long hard summer rides, and it does climb appreciably better, but I've also done many a 100 mile-ish sportives on the Aerial which has performed just as well. However, at the edge of my abilities - climbing, fast descending etc - the Litening is a much better frame to ride.

Not sure if I've helped much there to be honest! Sorry!
    Raymondo

"Let's just all be really careful out there folks!"
  • I prefer the hills too as I live in the Peak District so I take your point, I did actually take these wheels off when I was doing a windy hill climb event as they do catch the wind but in general riding they are much better than the Eastons and certainly a help on TT's. I've just ordered a Canyon now though!
  • defride
    Raymondo, thanks for the insight. I guess you've hit the nail on the head, they're both good bikes but given the choice...

Still interested to hear from anyone with direct experience comparing Agree and Litening
  • taimur
    taimur Posts: 173
    Not sure if my comment will add value, but here goes.
    I had the 2010 Cube Agree SL (full Ultegra with Easton Vista SL wheels and Syntace Alloy addons) which was basically the Agree GTC in Alloy. They stopped selling Alloy versions and dropped cost on the GTC from 2012 I think.

I rode the Agree SL for 1 year and got an opportunity to upgrade to Litening frame. I did that and went with Ultegra DI2 upgrade kit.

On the frame side Agree SL was so good that I cant say I noticed so much difference but DI2 made all the difference for me. my upgrade was Alloy to carbon and frame was off of ebay at a bargain price. s it was well justified.

If I was in your situation knowing how good the Agree rides I would probably stick with it and upgrade the rest. Wheels would be first! I hated the vista SLs, after two warranty claims Easton upgraded me to EA70s which rode really well. spokes still broke, repaired on warranty and sold them off and swapped to Mavic Ksyrium SLs.
    1996 Cannondale M500 CAAD3 (Hardtail MTB)
    2007 Cannondale F700 CAAD
    2010 Cube Agree SL (Road, retired)
    2011 Cube Litening Super HPC DI2 Frame, with Ultegra Di2 Components