BB Replacement

matt@theforce
matt@theforce Posts: 647
edited December 2013 in Workshop
I currently have an FSA Megaexo 8000/6000 bottom bracket and after 6months use (2200 miles) its time to replace the bearings as they are creaking loudly, its fitted in my Merida Cyclocross4 running a 36/46 chainset.

Most of my cycling with this bike is commuting to work, the 36/46 is great and suits most of my journey however there are some desents where I would like a 50t ring (remembering blasting down then roads on my road bike) as I find the 46t just not large enough. I do however use this bike for cross country cycling on various trails & bridleways, this type of cycling probably equates to 1/3 of my current riding.

I'm in a bit of a dilema

A, Buy a new 34/50 Chainset, bottom bracket & chain (although the chainset & chain don't need replacing yet)
B, Replace the FSA Megaexo 8000/6000 bearings, keep and run the chainset and chain until the chain requires changing, then replace the chainset or rings/chain
C, Replace the BB with something else (shimano 105 perhaps) & keep the current chainset & chain

What are people thoughts with using a Shimano BB with an FSA chainset?

Matthew

Comments

• Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Why not fit a 50 tooth chainring in place of the 46 and leave the 36 inner ring?

Whether you can swap to Shimano BB depends on what model of crank. Yes if it's an alloy Gossamer, not if it's carbon or alloy with the weenie 19mm spindle - you'll have to stick to FSA as these are proprietary.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • Monty Dog wrote:
    Why not fit a 50 tooth chainring in place of the 46 and leave the 36 inner ring?

Whether you can swap to Shimano BB depends on what model of crank. Yes if it's an alloy Gossamer, not if it's carbon or alloy with the weenie 19mm spindle - you'll have to stick to FSA as these are proprietary.

Yes, the chainset is an FSA Gossamer.

Looks like Option C is the most likely then, especially as I've never had any problems with my external shimano BB's on my mountain bikes.

Oh, and change the outer chainring from a 46t to a 50t :D (when I replace my chain)
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    The Gossamer chainset is a firm-fit with a Shimano BB in my experience - nothing that a 'tap' with a rubber mallet won't fix ;-)
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • Monty Dog wrote:
    The Gossamer chainset is a firm-fit with a Shimano BB in my experience - nothing that a 'tap' with a rubber mallet won't fix ;-)

Excellent. Shimano 6700 BB on order 8)