Headset Bearings

chrisrobs
chrisrobs Posts: 135
edited December 2013 in MTB general
Can anyone tell me the right spec for a new set of headset bearings?

Its for a Specialized Camber Pro 2012 frame, the headset is tapered and the sealed cartridge bearings sit inside the frame itself?

Thanks

Comments

• oxocube1
    oxocube1 Posts: 651
    Are you sure its a 2012 frame? As there is no 'Pro' model here.

If the bearings sit directly in the frame top and bottom, it's an integrated headset. Is there definitely no cups pressed into the frame with the bearings in i.e. semi integrated (zero stack)? It could be a combination of both types.

'Normally' a fully integrated headset would be something along the lines of IS42/28.6 | IS52/40 but it depends on the frame. Best would be to measure it with the aid of this.

Good luck!
  • just strip out the bearings and there will be a code on them. then search the web for replacements frim INA perhaps!
    Yeti SB66c 2013
  • CitizenLee
    CitizenLee Posts: 2,227
    Unless it's the Carbon Pro 29er.

If it's deffo tapered then this is waht Specialized say on their site: 1-1/8 and 1-1/2" Threadless, Campy style upper with 1-1/2" lower, cartridge bearings

Doesn't say angle but I'm pretty certain it will be 45/45.

Your current bearing should have a code on the seal. Type it into eBay / Google and see what comes up.
    Current:
    NukeProof Mega FR 2012
    Cube NuRoad 2018
    Previous:
    2015 Genesis CdF 10, 2014 Cube Hyde Race, 2012 NS Traffic, 2007 Specialized SX Trail, 2005 Specialized Demo 8
  • oxocube1 wrote:
    Are you sure its a 2012 frame? As there is no 'Pro' model here.

If the bearings sit directly in the frame top and bottom, it's an integrated headset. Is there definitely no cups pressed into the frame with the bearings in i.e. semi integrated (zero stack)? It could be a combination of both types.

'Normally' a fully integrated headset would be something along the lines of IS42/28.6 | IS52/40 but it depends on the frame. Best would be to measure it with the aid of this.

Good luck!

Thanks, its a weird one as I cant find my bike on specialized's website which is a bit worrying.

I bought it from bike scene, it has a tapered fork and the sealed catridge bearings that literally just sit in the frame, no cups or anything.

Ill take them out and have a look to see if there are any dimensions on them, thanks
  • CitizenLee wrote:
    Unless it's the Carbon Pro 29er.

If it's deffo tapered then this is waht Specialized say on their site: 1-1/8 and 1-1/2" Threadless, Campy style upper with 1-1/2" lower, cartridge bearings

Doesn't say angle but I'm pretty certain it will be 45/45.

Your current bearing should have a code on the seal. Type it into eBay / Google and see what comes up.

its a 26er but has pro written on it (alloy frame). very wierd