Wheel hub cones - can I use generic ones?

wavefront
wavefront Posts: 397
edited December 2013 in Workshop
My bike originally came with Maddux 3.0 wheels, with Formula RB51 hubs. The wheels weren't exactly great, but did the job until the bearings wore out last year after lots of wet winter miles. I then took the opportunity to upgrade my wheels rather than repair them.

Now it's coming to winter time again, I was wondering if I could get them working again for one more season of winter duties (to protect my new nice wheels, or even just for turbo work). I replaced the bearings fine, and they now run a little smoother but wondered if I could replace the cones aswell as they looked mildly pitted.

The problem is I don't know which cones to get - I contacted Cannodale, and the makers of the hub several times for info but have had no repsonse. If I took measurements of the existing cones, could I then replace them with cones that are identical /similar measurements? I saw a chart online from a supplier which I should be able to match up against.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

Comments

• I've tried to source cones but found it difficult.. My lbs told me he buys a bulk pack which has a variety of sizes but doubt if it's viable for individuals? I just take in the old cone and get him to get the closest match and a set of bb's?
  • desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    I wouldn't bother. If you're planning on hammering them for one last winter then I'd just get plenty of grease in there and run them into the ground.
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • buckles
    buckles Posts: 694
    I replaced the cones in my Formula front hub with a Weldtite axle & cone from my LBS. Was about £7 IIRC. Thought the cones would be a standard size since a lot of hubs use the same size bearings.
    25% off your first MyProtein order: sign up via https://www.myprotein.com/referrals.lis ... EE-R29Y&li or use my referral code LEE-R29Y