Sportive Season becoming 12 months?

antsmithmk
antsmithmk Posts: 717
Hi all,

I see more and more rides being organised in the winter months. What are peoples thoughts? Good move? Bad move?

Comments

• thefog
    thefog Posts: 197
    No other option - the number of summer sportives is reaching saturation point in some areas - need stretching out.
  • marcusjb
    marcusjb Posts: 2,412
    Look out for traditional club reliability trials in the new year. A good way to make sure your base miles have started to pay dividends for the season ahead.

But, it is good to see the sportive market realising that riding year round is all good fun.
  • DaveMoss
    DaveMoss Posts: 236
    Here in south west Scotland we have rain, wind,calm, snow, sun, cold, warm, but not very dependent on the seasons. In fact we can have all the lot on the same day sometimes. The only seasonal change is the amount of daylight so as long as the distance is adjusted to allow for the short days we may as well have winter events. In fact I'm thinking of organising some.

Club cyclists have always had reliability rides in winter, not so much different to a sportive and I would second the recommendation from marcusjb.
    Sportives and tours, 100% for charity, http://www.tearfundcycling.btck.co.uk
  • htsw5
    htsw5 Posts: 72
    I think it is a good thing, more choice if they are spread out. You already have make decisions about events all on the same weekend.

This year I did an event in April (Tour o' the Borders - in atrocious weather) and one in October (Etape Pennines - in benign conditions), both of which decided to move to the summer (July & August) for next year to try to guarantee good weather. Which is a shame as some of the appeal of the events was to spread them out across the year, and use early events to build up miles to a bigger event in the summer.
  • Not an overwhelming amount of events in NE England and they still manage to schedule Wiggle Northern Angel and Etape Pennines on the same day.
  • The ride it calendar from Evans is now 12 months. 3 for 2 offer on at the minute too...
  • antsmithmk wrote:
    The ride it calendar from Evans is now 12 months. 3 for 2 offer on at the minute too...

Yep; they've put a lot more in their calendar too but not all available to book as they haven't nailed down event venues etc yet.
  • okgo
    okgo Posts: 4,368
    They're fun runs, doesn't matter when they're held does it?
    Blog on my first and now second season of proper riding/racing - www.firstseasonracing.com
  • Sorry for wasting precious internet space...
  • okgo wrote:
    They're fun runs, doesn't matter when they're held does it?

No it doesn't matter at all. After all I can travel to London in the same time it takes me to travel to Edinburgh :?