Burgled but nothing taken

KMC1993
KMC1993 Posts: 101
edited December 2013 in The cake stop
So, I got a phone call from the police last night telling me I had had a break in but from the sounds of it nothing has been stolen. Has anyone else had an experience like this? I can not get to the house till tomorrow evening and I obviously feel pretty crap about it but more than anything I am just confused as to why someone would break in and then not take anything. Specially seeing as the door they broke through would have taken them straight into the room with my bike...

Is it common for this to happen? we are students so little of value to take, or should I be worried as to their reasoning for breaking in?

Comments

• markhewitt1978
    markhewitt1978 Posts: 7,614
    edited December 2013
    Perhaps they were looking for car keys or cash?

More worryingly, identity theft? Credit cards?
  • t4tomo
    t4tomo Posts: 2,643
    Students? - it wasn't a clumsy attempt from one of your mates to deliver you a kebab was it?
    Bianchi Infinito CV
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Ultegra
    Brompton S Type
    Carrera Vengeance Ultimate Ltd
    Gary Fisher Aquila '98
    Front half of a Viking Saratoga Tandem
  • napoleond
    napoleond Posts: 5,992
    Perhaps they were disturbed or spooked before they got chance.
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • KMC1993
    Identity theft is the only reasonable thing I can come up with as why nothing was taken. Although there would not have been any credit cards in the house, just passports. Will find out if they are still there tomorrow. Just hoping I don't get another phone call tonight saying they have gone back...

Way to many scum bags in this world :evil:
  • napoleond
    KMC1993 wrote:
    Identity theft is the only reasonable thing I can come up with as why nothing was taken.

What about what I said?
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • KMC1993
    NapoleonD wrote:
    KMC1993 wrote:
    Identity theft is the only reasonable thing I can come up with as why nothing was taken.

What about what I said?

Well according to the police, 3 bedroom doors where broken into, they have locks, and the patio doors were broken. It could be possible that they were disturbed but I just find it weird that they wouldn't grab a bike or anything on the way out. I just find it very very weird that they would have had time to break 3 doors once inside the house but not have time to steal anything. Doesn't add up to me.
  • napoleond
    Ok, the guys break in, check through the house to prioritise what to take, get spooked/disturbed, panic and leg it without taking anything so they don't get caught. Not weird and quite common.
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • Harry182
    Harry182 Posts: 1,170
    Maybe they don't know bikes and your other stuff's not that nice? (Sorry but some one had to say it.)
    I have a friend who had a break-in. They took a cheap old film camera and one of his belts. He was upset that he'd been robbed and more upset that the robber didn't value his stuff enough to take more of it.
  • KMC1993
    Haha, tbf apart from my bike I had nothing else of particular value in the house. Apart from my suit but didn't think to ask if that was still there. One of the guys I live with has a fairly decent Tv but it is quite on the large side so it could just be the fact that they didn't think there was anything worth the hassle. I just find it a bit weird, if I was ever to be come a thief I would make sure I got something out of it for the risk I had taken in breaking in :lol:

Suppose I should just be thankful and try and secure the house and put it out of my mind, just a bit easier said then done.
  • slowmart
    slowmart Posts: 4,516
    Why do it? Money for Christmas or drugs.

Drug users are not known for their rational behaviour so theorising their motives is pointless. ID theft may have been a deciding factor but there are easier ways to target victims without exposure to risk. And why pick a students house who are in all probability up to their collective eyes in debt?

I would be more concerned if i had things of value which had been taken. The scum usually wait until the items have been replaced by the insurance and try their luck again. Hopefully they have moved on and won't consider your place again.

And after being a victim of a knife mugging at Christmas i asked a copper why? His words still carry weight 27 years later. "Those that have nothing at christmas want something" What a wonderful world …..
    “Give a man a fish and feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and feed him for a lifetime. Teach a man to cycle and he will realize fishing is stupid and boring”

Desmond Tutu
  • awallace
    awallace Posts: 191
    NapD is right!

Imagine yourself breaking in to somewhere, making noise if the door has been broken, and wondering if anyone has seen and whether the police have been called (or a man with a large pick axe has seen you). Once inside there is a bike but you don't like the silly pedals. Your mates all wear Nike Air Max so they are too big for them. Plus those silly bars wont be liked in the pub.

Then as you search for the gold, especially the Asian gold which is hot property at the moment because most households don't just have a bracelet - there is 000s pounds worth, you realise its a student house. Doh. Has he got a camera? an Ipod? no, not obvious. TVs and computers are too big and the police will ask why you're carrying it (hopefully) Leg it! :)
  • jimothy78
    jimothy78 Posts: 1,407
    Quite a few break ins round here recently, and chatting to the police it seems they are specifically just after cash or small, high-value items such as phones etc.
  • Don't mean to scare, but..

We had something similar. The first time, they even left obvious cash around the house. They came back a few weeks later and targeted items of value, knew exactly where to look, knew what we had, and took the lot. No mess, it was organised. It appears they even worked out the easiest way to break in again, and best routes out with the clobber.

If you are a student who goes home to family over Christmas I would take items of value with you...
  • Don't take this as a slight on your character or your friends as it is not meant to be.... (I know, I know...)

But if you are students, could it be possible that they could be looking for drugs or alcohol to fuel their habit?
  • florerider
    florerider Posts: 1,112
    "burgled but nothing stolen" :roll:

What is modern education coming to?
  • RDW
    RDW Posts: 1,900
    Are you sure you've checked absolutely everything?:

http://www.ibtimes.com/panty-burglar-su ... -underwear

More seriously, one worry might be that they were disturbed and could try again, now they know they can get in. I was hit once in student accommodation (laptop, video recorder) 'luckily' not long before I was due to move out anyway, but a friend had 2 or 3 break ins. How long is your let?
  • Sounds like it's definitely identity theft to me. :lol: