Castelli Gabba Jersey Washing.

designman
designman Posts: 405
edited December 2013 in Road buying advice
I know this is probably the wrong place to ask this, I have a Castelli Short Sleeved Gabba Jersey which I've had now for a few weeks and it's starting to smell a little, What is the best method of washing these jerseys which restores the water proofing?
Thanks.

Comments

• gabriel959
    gabriel959 Posts: 4,227
    buying a new one?

Now seriously, read the washing care label?! :)
    x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
    Commuting / Winter rides - Jamis Renegade Expert
    Pootling / Offroad - All-City Macho Man Disc
    Fast rides Cannondale SuperSix Ultegra
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    gabriel959 wrote:
    buying a new one?

Now seriously, read the washing care label?! :)
    Since when did blokes ever read washing care labels? If a bloke wants to know how to wash something (and lets pass by why he doesn't have a woman to do this for him) he posts a thread on an internet forum which immediately degenerates into a flame war about Hitler.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • errorist
    errorist Posts: 169
    Wash as normal however afterwards, hang it up and hold use the steam jet on an iron from about 3 inches away to get the waterproofing going again.
  • When I say "method" I mean which is the best product to use which restores water proofing.
  • rozzer32
    rozzer32 Posts: 3,922
    ***** Pro Tour Pundit Champion 2020, 2018, 2017 & 2011 *****
  • All you need to know is wash after use. 30C and no fabric softner (on anything cycling related as a rule).
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Why do you need to restore waterproofing after 3 weeks?

If you have worn it for 3 weeks without washing and it smells you might struggle to get the smell out.

30 degrees with Halo wash (after every wear) for most of my stuff.

Assos stuff gets Assos wash................. because its worth it :lol:
  • I thought anything which is waterproof should be washed with either Nikwax Tech Wash or Grangers to restore the waterproofing.
  • Anonymous
    When it needs restoring yes, but not after 3 weeks in its first wash!
  • Thanks for the replies "Carbonator", quick question - If I washed the Gabba Jersey with Halo Wash, will the jersey still be waterproof?
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 17,182
    i use the assos cleanser for all my cycling clothes, works very well and does not harm fabrics, cold hand wash in minimum of water

shop around for best price, as long as you follow the dilution instructions you get lots of washes per bottle so it works out ok

wash after every ride, then things don't go smelly or get grime ingrained so deep you can't get it out, water pressure in my flat is really high, if stuff is really dirty after a wet ride i use the shower to blast out dirt before washing

i've got a white gabba jersey, been washed umpteen times, still white, still waterproof
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • Anonymous
    designman wrote:
    Thanks for the replies "Carbonator", quick question - If I washed the Gabba Jersey with Halo Wash, will the jersey still be waterproof?

Should be fine with Halo. I would probably use Assos (as I have it) cleaner on a Gabba if I had one though.
    One thing about Halo is that it has a kind of tea tree oil smell when you take out of the wash. Have not noticed it when clothes are dry though.

Would probably wash inside out too.