Just picked up my new (second hand) bike!

Southgate
Southgate Posts: 246
edited December 2013 in Commuting chat
I am now the proud owner of a second hand but hardly used Claude Butler Classic with an old-skool rack on the back. It's got huge great tires, a big Toblerone-style saddle, flat pedals and cantilever brakes. And I love it!

This one hundred and fifty quid piece of junk is my new pride and joy. I'll cannibalise my dead hybrid for parts; swap the saddle, fit some toe cages, maybe flip the bars too. But essentially it will still be a bargain-basement bash-it-around all-weather all-purpose bike just like I used to have when I was a kid.

For sure, it's a wee bit slower than my Spesh Roubaix winter training bike, and not as quick as my summer Di2-equipped Orbea Orca. Sure, it's true I don't look quite as TdF. BUT it can boldly go where no Southgate has gone before, in particular along the canal towpath from Tottenham to Hackney each morning and the reverse each evening. And when the roads ice up, I'll still be out there on my massive tires, pedalling away, depriving TfL of a tenner a day and paying off the bike in three weeks flat!

Most of all, I'm looking forward to some SCR. Roadies watch out, cos you're in for a big surprise! Never judge a rider by his bike!
Superstition begins with pinning race number 13 upside down and it ends with the brutal slaughter of Mamils at the cake stop.

Comments

• rubertoe
    rubertoe Posts: 3,994
    POIDH.
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
    B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    Southgate wrote:
    ...along the canal towpath from Tottenham to Hackney each morning and the reverse each evening...
    That was my route for the last two weeks, Ponders End to Hackney. It was lovely in the fog!
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • jds_1981
    jds_1981 Posts: 1,858
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    Southgate wrote:
    ...along the canal towpath from Tottenham to Hackney each morning and the reverse each evening...
    That was my route for the last two weeks, Ponders End to Hackney. It was lovely in the fog!

For some reason they've added a few skills sections to this route. A couple of short granite cobbled sections and some gates.

I find for the cobbled sections it's best to hit them as fast as possible and let the bike bounce. Make sure you've got a reasonable amount of air in your tyres.

For the gates by the pub (heading southwards), it's possible to nip through the gap on the left for the first one. Quite possible to do both sets of gates sat down.
    FCN 9 || FCN 5
  • Pic's come out a bit odd, but hey...
    Superstition begins with pinning race number 13 upside down and it ends with the brutal slaughter of Mamils at the cake stop.
  • jds_1981 wrote:
    For some reason they've added a few skills sections to this route. A couple of short granite cobbled sections and some gates.

Yeah, I think we can refer to it as a "sporting course"!

If you look carefully at the pic, you can see that the front tire is flat. First morning and "pop"! :roll:
  • jds_1981
    jds_1981 Posts: 1,858
    Might be worth putting some full front mudguards on. Not sure if you've found out, but when it rains muddy puddles can form. How is the surface at the moment?
    FCN 9 || FCN 5
  • jds_1981 wrote:
    How is the surface at the moment?

Pretty ropey with deep puddles and lots of mud. I think I spent longer cleaning the bike last night than I did riding home!
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Strange looking cantilever brakes, they look just like V's?
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • The Rookie wrote:
    Strange looking cantilever brakes, they look just like V's?

Ha! Yes, you're quite right.... I was chatting cr*p!! :oops: