edited December 2013 in Road general
Have you guys seen this?
A nice little challenge

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HUWCeAzkc2Q
left the forum March 2023

Comments

• marcusjb
    marcusjb Posts: 2,412
    Cracking stuff - good effort to get a bike that weighs about as much as the average tank up there! Nice video.
  • Yeah, but then again, it goes to show that we underestimate ourselves, always trying to find the easiest way to get things done... good on him
  • kim10
    kim10 Posts: 186
    Nice to see somebody doing a charity ride with a difference and good on him for using that heavy thing to get to the top of Ventoux. Makes you think why we obsesses about shedding a few grams of our already light bikes!!
  • Bozman
    Bozman Posts: 2,518
    It gives me some hope, I've pencilled it in for my 50th.
  • Boris bikes are 25kg? Really? Wow.

Good on him, that was a good use of 15 minutes of my time. Makes me remember I am happy with my 10kg bike :D
  • pirnie
    pirnie Posts: 242
    Great work. Does make me wonder how many Boris bikes will be disappearing off for day trips to France now though..... :wink:
  • Awesome effort and a great video. Hope he raised loads for his charity
  • I heard about someone doing Nice ironman triathlon with such a bike (180km) at the average speed of 25.5km/h. He also tried Embrunman but gave up (he failed to reach Izoard pass before the time cut off).
  • lawrences
    lawrences Posts: 1,011
    That's cool but I though it would actually be Boris doing it when I read the title.
  • Daz555
    Daz555 Posts: 3,976
    How did he resist riding back down again? No way could I put myself through that without the reward of heading downhill - even on a Boris bike.
    You only need two tools: WD40 and Duck Tape.
    If it doesn't move and should, use the WD40.
    If it shouldn't move and does, use the tape.
  • marcusjb
    Daz555 wrote:
    How did he resist riding back down again? No way could I put myself through that without the reward of heading downhill - even on a Boris bike.

I really don't think I would dare, the brakes on a Boris Bike are pretty agricultural at best!

You'd soon build speed up though!
  • Gpfanuk
    Gpfanuk Posts: 142
    edited December 2013
    I am looking to do the Ventoux in August (no choice - school holidays) and join the club des cingles. Any tips would be appreciated...
    Muddy Fox Hardtail Circa 1998
    Triban3
    Felt AR5
    ANC Halfords Peugeot (restored and ridden at Eroica 2015)
    A box of bits that will make a fine Harry Hall when I get round to it.
    Raleigh tandem of as yet unknown vintage - ongoing restoration for Eroica 2016
  • marcusjb
    Gpfanuk wrote:
    I am looking to do the Ventoux in August (no choice - school holidays) and join the clube des cingles. Any tips would be appreciated...

Top tip - don't do it on a Boris Bike - looks really really hard.
  • Gpfanuk wrote:
    I am looking to do the Ventoux in August (no choice - school holidays) and join the club des cingles. Any tips would be appreciated...

start early, stay hydrated, avoid the big lunch temptations at Sault or Chalet Reynard (leads to bloating and hydration issues), and try and pick a day with a good forecast (for wind especially).

August is great for Mont Ventoux. You'll be warm on the descents and there will be hundreds of other cyclists on the road to keep you company. The atmosphere will be lovely.

It's like three really long turbo sessions in a hot room with no fan
  • philbar72
    philbar72 Posts: 2,229
    Gpfanuk wrote:

start early, stay hydrated, avoid the big lunch temptations at Sault or Chalet Reynard (leads to bloating and hydration issues), and try and pick a day with a good forecast (for wind especially).

August is great for Mont Ventoux. You'll be warm on the descents and there will be hundreds of other cyclists on the road to keep you company. The atmosphere will be lovely.

It's like three really long turbo sessions in a hot room with no fan

you were really selling it to me up till the bold bit!

I'm probably going up in July ( towards the end of the month).
  • seanoconn
    seanoconn Posts: 11,636
    Enjoyed that :)
    Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי
  • It's like three really long turbo sessions in a hot room with no fan

Sold. :P

Great video and effort, loved it.
  • If you like descending this is one of the best.
  • I'd struggle on my road bike! Good on them.
  • durhamwasp
    durhamwasp Posts: 1,247
    Great challenge! While part of me suspects they might have waited around a few minutes to get the limit so close, having thought about it, it would be pretty impossible to do that challenge with any more than 1hr spare if you had everything go absolutely perfectly!

We've drove down to Bedoin in a oner a few times, usually splitting the driving between 3 or 4 of us tho, and its a beast of a long drive! To get up Ventoux in 3hrs on that thing is some effort too!

Cingles is something else, as said, set off early, take loads of energy gels with you, take breaks at restaurants and plan your day well! and enjoy!
    http://www.snookcycling.wordpress.com - Reports on Cingles du Mont Ventoux, Alpe D'Huez, Galibier, Izoard, Tourmalet, Paris-Roubaix Sportive & Tour of Flanders Sportive, Amstel Gold Xperience, Vosges, C2C, WOTR routes....
  • joelsim
    joelsim Posts: 7,552
    Rob Holden, or Norb as he's more commonly known is an old uni mate of mine. Chapeau!
  • Full Respect due !! Though I reckon my Boris Bike challenge in 2011 was just as tough.

http://uk.virginmoneygiving.com/fundrai ... Team=false
  • Full Respect due !! Though I reckon my Boris Bike challenge in 2011 was just as tough.

http://uk.virginmoneygiving.com/fundrai ... Team=false

NIce one, well done... although less exotic, certainly a much harder challenge!
  • arran77
    arran77 Posts: 9,260
    One turned up in the Gambia.

ad_123028697.jpg
    "Arran, you are like the Tony Benn of smut. You have never diluted your depravity and always stand by your beliefs. You have my respect sir and your wife my pity" :lol:

seanoconn
  • Getting back to London from Bédoin in 9hrs is quite an achievement. Is that possible?
  • philbar72
    philbar72 Posts: 2,229
    it would appear it is. yes.
  • Bloke from that other thread would've done it in 12 hours in 1970...
  • Bloke from that other thread would've done it in 12 hours in 1970...

And he wouldn't have needed bottom gear either ;)
  • keith57
    keith57 Posts: 164
    Great effort - it's hard enough on a normal bike. Not quite sure what the point of the foam hat is when moving so slowly though :wink:
    http://www.fachwen.org
    https://www.strava.com/athletes/303457

Please note: I’ll no longer engage deeply with anonymous forum users :D
  • priory
    priory Posts: 743
    25kg is a touring bike plus a litre of juice and panniers with normal lightweight camping stuff in them. Or a 10kg road bike with tools and water and food plus about 10% of my body weight. So It should only be about 10% slower up the hill than the road bike in that basis.
    Raleigh Eclipse, , Dahon Jetstream XP, Raleigh Banana, Dawes super galaxy, Raleigh Clubman

http://s189.photobucket.com/albums/z122 ... =slideshow