BBC SPOTY

Alain Quay
Alain Quay Posts: 534
edited December 2013 in The cake stop
A predictable result, nonetheless very well done to Andy Murray. The short clip on and interview with Chris Froome and his former coach in Kenya were the best bits I reckon.

The show is way too long, has morphed into something like Strictly Come X Factor, and is buttock-clenchingly embarrassing at times. I half expected the massed throng to fall on their knees at the end and start chanting to the God of Sport.

Dear Old Fergie, such a nice chap. And Leigh Halfpenny runner up? Hmmm. He's good, but when you have a forward pack in front of you made up of the best from 4 nations, and are part of a touring squad of 70, surely it is easier to look good. The Wallabies made Wales' Halfpenny, Sam Warburton and Gatland (coach of the year?) look pretty average a few weeks ago. : )

I still think they need to come up with a new word for 'sports' where you don't sweat e.g. darts, bowls, shooting, billiards, etc. - i.e. all the BBC's residual, unplundered crown jewels. I suggest 'slobbing'. Example: "I used to play football and cycle, but now I slob darts." Slob of the Year could be a really tight contest.

Comments

• Agreed about it being too long. A 3 hour show which would be better presented in a 2 hour format.
  • k-dog
    k-dog Posts: 1,652
    I've always thought the title a bit strange too - personality doesn't seem to have a lot to do with it most of the time. It's surely 'Best sportsperson of the year'?
    I'm left handed, if that matters.
  • GiantMike
    GiantMike Posts: 3,139
    30 mins max. The contenders are x, y, z etc
    This is what they did
    This person won.
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    GiantMike wrote:
    30 mins max. The contenders are x, y, z etc
    This is what they did
    This person won.
    Using this principle, you get all programmes onto 4 or 5 channels.
    This would be a good thing. :P

And....... why is half of TV programmes now filled with recaps or trailers?*

*Rhetorical.
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    just saw the presentation bit as missus hooked on x factor final. good old andy, nearly got a bit excited and copped 50% of the vote.
  • Daz555
    Daz555 Posts: 3,976
    k-dog wrote:
    I've always thought the title a bit strange too - personality doesn't seem to have a lot to do with it most of the time. It's surely 'Best sportsperson of the year'?
    Today, it would no doubt be called "Sportsperson of the year". However, the name was coined in 1954.

There is no need to change it.
    You only need two tools: WD40 and Duck Tape.
    If it doesn't move and should, use the WD40.
    If it shouldn't move and does, use the tape.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,391
    k-dog wrote:

I'm working away doing stuff that's not so stimulating so have been plundering the BBC Podcast archive and listened to one on this. It had to be "Sports Personality" simply becasue the newspaper they joined up with for the first few had already got the "Sports Person of the Year". It was never supposed to be about personality.
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • ballysmate
    ballysmate Posts: 15,921
    Ironic that it is presented by someone who has no personality.
  • debeli
    debeli Posts: 583
    I don't follow it, but I read the result and it seems (as ever) a fair barometer of the views of people who take the trouble to vote in these things. This is (after all) an event once won by an equestrian related to the Queen, even though few people had any clue what she'd won that year. McCoy, Farah and Ainslie seemed to have had extremely strong cases. All of them were magnificent this year and for many years beforehand. Murray's win is understandable and laudable, if a little cosy and predictable.

However... I have no idea why Ohurogu was even on the shortlist. The BBC and others seem keen to make her into a 'national treasure', while many track & field followers see in her only a banned athlete who has no more credibility than a drunk driver with a 'failed to provide a specimen' conviction who uses that as proof that they were sober.

For me, Ohurogu (sp?) is in the same category as Michelle de Bruin.
  • Ballysmate wrote:

And there we are. The joke that's posted every goddam year.
  • ballysmate
    ballysmate Posts: 15,921
    Ballysmate wrote:

Not a joke, an observation.
    Gary Lineker is to TV presenting what Cyril Smith was to horse racing.

I take my hat off to your fastidious research. As you only joined the forum last December, it takes a special pedant to trawl through all those posts.
    Chapeau sir. :wink:
  • Ballysmate wrote:
    Ballysmate wrote:

Not a joke, an observation.
    Gary Lineker is to TV presenting what Cyril Smith was to horse racing.

I take my hat off to your fastidious research. As you only joined the forum last December, it takes a special pedant to trawl through all those posts.
    Chapeau sir. :wink:

It applies to all forums; everywhere ;)
  • Daz555 wrote:
    k-dog wrote:
    Today, it would no doubt be called "Sportsperson of the year". However, the name was coined in 1954.

There is no need to change it.

Until 1999 it was Sport Review of the Year and concentrated on the actual sport with the personality award at the end.

I miss the structured look back at the 12 months of each sport and the inevitable "I'd forgotten that" moments. The 'vote for me' videaos are nowhere near as interesting.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,391
    Big +1
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • At least they've replaced wrinkly Sue Barker with leggy Gabby Logan :)