Play in rear wheel.

paulneenan76
paulneenan76 Posts: 777
edited December 2013 in MTB workshop & tech
Got back from a ride and I've developed some play in the rear wheel - back and forth movement with brake on? Was a bit too dark and other commitments have meant I've been unable to have a good check to find the cause. The rear is a superstar AM on a suprleggara trizoid hub. The QR was tight as was the caliper. Not checked dropouts but is this more likely my hub / hub bearings that are the cause?

Thanks in advance.

Paul
Family, Friends, Fantastic trails - what else is there

viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12898838
viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12897374

Comments

• pads moving in caliper/loose brake mounts/loose spokes/loose rotor (not familiar with the hub but if it's centre lock then more likely, i could look it up but i'm feeling lazy)

if your bearings have gone you'll get side play
    Community police have been on the look out for a vandal by the name of \'The Elusive Lout\'. Any information you could give would be gratefully received.
  • jimothy78
    jimothy78 Posts: 1,407
    Reckon most likely is fault at rotor - like mini-death said, if it's a centre-lock jobbie then they can develop play at the rivets between the alu spider and main rotor. if it's a 6-bolt rotor, then it could be that the bolts are loose and/or the bolt holes have ovalised.

Could also be loose cups in a cup-and-cone bearing hub - that will be easy to eliminate as it will also give lateral play of the wheel relative to the frame.
  • Thanks for the replys. I'm off to check it out but I don't have cup n cone or centre lock rotors.

Hopefully I can get it resolved.

Thanks

• Turns out it was a mixture of a build up of crap on the pads, one or two loose rotor bolts, and a slightly loose caliper bolt.

Thanks for your suggestions.

Paul