Finish line celebrations

buckles
buckles Posts: 694
edited December 2013 in Amateur race
If you're an amateur with no sponsors and there are no photographers should you really be celebrating on the line?

IMO if you are even capable of smiling let alone raising one of your hands you didn't ride hard enough
25% off your first MyProtein order: sign up via https://www.myprotein.com/referrals.lis ... EE-R29Y&li or use my referral code LEE-R29Y

Comments

• imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Not sure if you've thought this through. If you're taking the win, then what does it matter if you didn't ride hard enough?
  • buckles
    It doesn't. But you should have rode hard enough just to be sure
    25% off your first MyProtein order: sign up via https://www.myprotein.com/referrals.lis ... EE-R29Y&li or use my referral code LEE-R29Y
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 9,026
    All wins should be celebrated though amateur bunch sprints one hand is enough, especially if the winner is right in front of me.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • Buckles wrote:
    If you're an amateur with no sponsors and there are no photographers should you really be celebrating on the line?

Yes. You've won, why not.
    IMO if you are even capable of smiling let alone raising one of your hands you didn't ride hard enough

If you've won you've ridden exactly the right amount of hard enough.
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    If you have the opportunity to celebrate then go for it.
  • buckles
    Buckles wrote:

Yes. You've won, why not.

If you've won you've ridden exactly the right amount of hard enough.
    I disagree, if you win a race you should win so hard you collapse over the finish line.
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Buckles wrote:
    I disagree, if you win a race you should win so hard you collapse over the finish line.

yeah, cos that's what Sagan does, innit.

Hang on - is this a christmas joke thread?
  • Buckles wrote:

Depends. If it's a stage race, then perhaps, even then you've got to race again the next day. Otherwise it's about going as slow as you possibly can while still being faster than the other guy.
  • okgo
    okgo Posts: 4,368
    You have to go to a pretty low rent race these days for there not to be someone with a camera at the finish line.
    Blog on my first and now second season of proper riding/racing - www.firstseasonracing.com
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    Winter series races in the p**sing rain tend not to get too many cameras. I need to win something in the sunshine...
  • who are you, or anyone else to deny someone the right to celebrate if they have won a race
  • buckles
    who are you, or anyone else to deny someone the right to celebrate if they have won a race
    I am the official race celebration denial man.
  • maryka
    maryka Posts: 748
    In the races where I was the strongest rider there on paper, and also won the race, I didn't really celebrate. Would be a bit embarrassed to put on some display at the finish line given that I basically should have won the race based on who was on the start line anyway.

In the races where I felt like celebrating because I beat riders better than myself, I was too knackered to celebrate and/or barely won the race in a sprint anyway. And therefore didn't.

I suppose if I ever had both a clear win, AND time to celebrate AND a reason to do it (i.e., beat riders as good or better than me) than I might celebrate somewhat but probably not much outwardly. And certainly not the arms-skyward-kissing-Jesus thing that a lot of people do. I find that all a bit over the top and cheesy. It's just an amateur race after all!
  • sub55
    sub55 Posts: 1,025
    celebrate and milk it for all its worth , probably won't happen that often
    the other option is to win open TT's as that is a massive anti climax
    constantly reavalueating the situation and altering the perceived parameters accordingly
  • Tom Dean
    Tom Dean Posts: 1,723
    1 win, 1 salute, 0 cameras :cry:

(I might get that tattooed for motivation)
  • A 3/4 race in Lincolnshire I rode in, got dropped so watched the finish.

Rider broke away from a small bunch so had a lead of 100m going to the line, sat up zipped his jersey up and held both arms up. What a pro!

He turns out to be some Spanish lad that was way above BC 3/4 standard.
  • okgo
    maryka wrote:
    In the races where I was the strongest rider there on paper, and also won the race, I didn't really celebrate. Would be a bit embarrassed to put on some display at the finish line given that I basically should have won the race based on who was on the start line anyway.

In the races where I felt like celebrating because I beat riders better than myself, I was too knackered to celebrate and/or barely won the race in a sprint anyway. And therefore didn't.

I suppose if I ever had both a clear win, AND time to celebrate AND a reason to do it (i.e., beat riders as good or better than me) than I might celebrate somewhat but probably not much outwardly. And certainly not the arms-skyward-kissing-Jesus thing that a lot of people do. I find that all a bit over the top and cheesy. It's just an amateur race after all!

Yeh but almost no mens races are like that (apart from Preston Park it would seem) and you don't often get fields of 15 blokes ranging from 4th-1st cat like you do in women's races.
    Blog on my first and now second season of proper riding/racing - www.firstseasonracing.com
  • buckles
    Buckles wrote:

I think what I actually meant was " if you are even capable of smiling let alone raising one of your hands everybody else didn't ride hard enough"
  • okgo
    Again, more rubbish.
  • I've come 2nd 3 times and 4th-8th at least 10 so if I actually manage to win one in style it will be zipped up jersey hands aloft style!
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    realistically not many of us are going to race higher than amateur level, so why not celebrate if you win? People celebrate when they score a goal at Sunday league.

Why are you racing, if not to win? Surely the money isn't great, so are you doing it for the joy?
  • Got a lot of stick of my pals for this one but how could I not, in my own deluded little world :D

IxworthCrits06-05-13copy_zps0900fb62.jpg

looks like an alright race that, bigish crowds what was it?
  • What you don't want to do is celebrate coming 5th
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b5Qd9e0cGxc
  • okgo
    LOL I remember that. I was so far back when that front 4 went I had no idea there was anyone ahead hahahaha!
  • What you don't want to do is celebrate coming 5th
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b5Qd9e0cGxc

Careful, that's 'okgo' who is now a very strong rider :lol:

haha yeah i know, i was 2nd behind team mate!
  • okgo
    I got a ribbing from Maryka and others for that :D