International 3/4 Cat Race- Closed Roads- Opinions needed

sandyking
sandyking Posts: 4
edited January 2014 in Amateur race
Evening,

I was wondering if I could get some opinions regarding organising a race for 3rd and 4th Category riders in Spain.

My view is that quality racing should not just be limited to the professionals. The racing in the UK on offer for lower category racers is bland and dangerous. Either you race on closed circuits or risk riding against oncoming cars on pot-holed roads. I want to offer a race in the Basque Country with fully closed roads, varied terrain, and professional organisation.

The event would stretch across a weekend, with the roughly 100km race on the Sunday. The field would be limited to 200 riders, and would be organised in to teams. The cost would be £200-£300 including accommodation, excluding flights.

Is that something you would be interested in?

I would be very appreciative of any feedback.

Many thanks

Sandy

Comments

• imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Which governing body would sanction a race like that? BC wouldn't be interested in it, because it is not in the UK, and I can't see the Spanish body being interested in santioning a race purely for UK riders - or have I misunderstood?

Incidentally, I don't agree with the sweeping statement that 3/4 racing is uniquely 'bland and dangerous' - it may not be Milan-San Remo, but it serves a purpose.
  • Thanks for the reply

The race would be sanctioned by the Spanish Federation, and BC have been encouraging about the idea. Riders from other countries could race too of course, however it would be targeted at British 3/4th category level.

'Bland and dangerous' is certainly a generalization, but hopefully you understand what I mean.
  • JackPozzi
    JackPozzi Posts: 1,191
    Like the idea in theory, few questions though...

Would there be anything else organised over the weekend?
    What time of year would it be? If it's fairly early how about the option of strecthing it out to a week and having the race and a training camp kind of thing?
    Teams - would you have to enter as teams, or would they be assigned by organiser?
  • imposter2.0
    sandyking wrote:
    Thanks for the reply

The race would be sanctioned by the Spanish Federation, and BC have been encouraging about the idea. Riders from other countries could race too of course, however it would be targeted at British 3/4th category level.

'Bland and dangerous' is certainly a generalization, but hopefully you understand what I mean.

Are you based in Spain presumably? Otherwise, my suggestion would be to invest your energy in putting on better (and frankly more affordable/accessible) 3/4 events in the UK. I don't want to sound too critical, as any event organiser should be encouraged - I just think that it's going to be a very limited number of people who will take up your offer - and if you care that much about the supposed state of 3/4 racing, then it would make more sense to change it from within the UK, rather than tell all the 3/4s to get on a plane...
  • Hi all,
    -It would be run over the weekend, with guided rides on the Saturday (by locals), seminars, etc.
    -People would be encouraged to spend longer in the region to train, have a holiday. The Tour of the basque country is actually the weekend before so people could come out and watch that before.
    - the teams would be assigned by the organiser but obviously friends can be kept together.
    - regarding doing the event in the UK, its not quite the same. It would truly be a unique experience with closed roads and beautiful terrain.
  • Most people who ride 3/4 IMO are just not going to be bothered. If they are racing 3/4s already they are used to the bland and dangerous events and happy to accept those as they races for their hobby. Riders moan if the entry is more than £20. E/1/2 different matter as it takes in riders wanting the exposure and publicity a race like that would get. As a race organiser I do find the idea of this slightly vulgar as I imagine you would like to profit from the event. All racing in my area(East Mids) do it on a non-profit basis, with any small surplus being fed back into clubs/leagues.
  • imposter2.0
    Agree with the above. Might be better to target the sportive crowd - that lot seem to be much happier to shell out for costly events.
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    Couldn't you just sign up for a Spanish race anyway? I know that some French races you can sign up to via Rider HQ (though perhaps not at 3/4 level), and loads of Belgian races you can just turn up on the day. Would yours carry BC points? If not, what would distinguish it from entering any continental race?
  • Big mat beat me to it, people who want to race outside of the UK could just pop over to France or Belgium whenever they want and race over there.

You mention 3/4 races being bland, what do you mean by this?

Taking a bunch of UK riders from to race somewhere else won't change their mentality of sitting in and waiting for a sprint, i think it would be better for the riders also to race in a race predominately of riders from mainland Europe where they race more aggressively. I think you would be better using your time and energy to either organise a race in the UK or set up a team of 2,3,4 cat riders and get them racing outside of the UK
  • Perhaps you may struggle to get 200 uk 3/4 riders (judging by the negativity so far :lol: ) but maybe an international race for riders across Europe, up the distance abit? I don't know how a French or Italian licence equates to a 3/4 cat, maybe a higher end amateur race, with the 3/4 as a support? I would be interested in it :)
    the road ccts down here - s/w - arnt bland or dangerous but plenty of local racers (of all cats) do the Marmotte, Maratona etc so they arnt all "that lot..."

A local non racer female organiser down here puts on a 2/3/4 one day stage race and is going to do similar with a female junior and 3/4 stage race later in the yr, if organisers are putting on bland races, then maybe change what gets put on...like this guy is trying do ?
  • Lookyhere wrote:
    Perhaps you may struggle to get 200 uk 3/4 riders (judging by the negativity so far :lol: ) but maybe an international race for riders across Europe, up the distance abit? I don't know how a French or Italian licence equates to a 3/4 cat, maybe a higher end amateur race, with the 3/4 as a support? I would be interested in it :)
    the road ccts down here - s/w - arnt bland or dangerous but plenty of local racers (of all cats) do the Marmotte, Maratona etc so they arnt all "that lot..."

A local non racer female organiser down here puts on a 2/3/4 one day stage race and is going to do similar with a female junior and 3/4 stage race later in the yr, if organisers are putting on bland races, then maybe change what gets put on...like this guy is trying do ?

you got any details on this one day stage race yet?
  • Not until regional calendar finalised
  • dulldave
    dulldave Posts: 949
    This looks like a good idea to me. I can totally see where you're coming from. I think people here are comparing apples with pears a bit . If he wants to put on a race to make money then why shouldn't he? OK it wouldn't be helpful if this was the only racing available to UK riders but that's not the case is it? There's room for some special events like this. There's a space between sportives and racing that needs filling and I for one think this is the kind of thing that needs to happen.

Yes people moan about a £20 entry fee but they do so usually (not all) because they're miserable c****s while racing on Zipp wheels and £4k bikes. They then go abroad and spend hundreds doing sportives and gran fondos. If you create an exciting event and publicise it well enough there will easily be that number of people in the UK who will be interested in it.
    Scottish and British...and a bit French
  • TakeTurns
    TakeTurns Posts: 1,075
    Sounds interesting, but too pricey.

What's in it for the winners?
  • ju5t1n
    ju5t1n Posts: 2,028
    The LVRC have a stage race in Spain... http://www.velouk.net/2013/11/26/news-v ... catalonia/
  • racingcondor
    racingcondor Posts: 1,434
    This is also worth a mention as a UK team based stage race (both in terms of cost and scope).

http://www.cadencecycleracing.co.uk/rasindex.html
  • FransJacques
    FransJacques Posts: 2,148
    The Milan San Remo sportif is like a road race. Informal rolling closure. Not a race tho.

The Tour de l'Ain pro race has an amateur version that mirrors it. From what I've seen, it ain't 3/4, it's more like the amateur tdf.
    When a cyclist has a disagreement with a car; it's not who's right, it's who's left.
  • The Milan San Remo sportif is like a road race. Informal rolling closure. Not a race tho.

The Tour de l'Ain pro race has an amateur version that mirrors it. From what I've seen, it ain't 3/4, it's more like the amateur tdf.

I seem to remember a funny storey about Raleigh 'pro' Alexander Blain going back to France to recover from a broken hand or something and 'winning' the M-SR sportive and his team had no idea he was doing it and weren't too happy
  • FransJacques
    FransJacques Posts: 2,148
    yeah, he even put his arms up at the end. #loser

the MSR is totally nuts, but I'd be sheepish to win something like that if I was a pro. it's like attacking your weaker training partners and winning all the town sign sprints #hollowvictory

yes, I'm really feeling the hastags tonight #babywon'tsleepand dad's blikin tired

to the OP, no offense but unless you're a strong Cat 2 or Cat 1 you won't last long in any continental race so the question of closed roads is a moot point really #that'sjustthewayitis
    When a cyclist has a disagreement with a car; it's not who's right, it's who's left.