How much would an LBS charge on average?

toastedone
toastedone Posts: 838
edited December 2013 in MTB workshop & tech
How much would a LBS charge to fit a set of brakes and new shifters, roughly?

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    It depends on many things, fresh build? Old nasty build that needs stripping cleaning and then assembling and indexing?

Parts provided or bought from the shop at the time for fitting?

Any stupid hose routing? Are the hoses the correct length? Are the hoses too long or even too short?

Are they even hydro discs or.......

And do you want the brakes bedded in and the gears indexed or are you happy doing that yourself?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • nicklouse wrote:
    It depends on many things, fresh build? Old nasty build that needs stripping cleaning and then assembling and indexing?

Parts provided or bought from the shop at the time for fitting?

Any stupid hose routing? Are the hoses the correct length? Are the hoses too long or even too short?

Are they even hydro discs or.......

And do you want the brakes bedded in and the gears indexed or are you happy doing that yourself?

Bike is a newly built bike, with avid elixr 1 brakes and deore shifters, I will be providing the parts, xt brakes and slx shifters. Hoses will need shortening. Brakes I can bed in but gears will need indexing.
  • http://www.evanscycles.com/servicing/wo ... price-list

Always good for a ball park idea. Different areas charge differently due to overheads and competition. (London is obviously generally going to be more expensive than rural areas.)
    Community police have been on the look out for a vandal by the name of \'The Elusive Lout\'. Any information you could give would be gratefully received.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Or DIY in half an hour.
    You really need to be able to index gears.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • cooldad wrote:
    Or DIY in half an hour.
    You really need to be able to index gears.
    Why?
    Community police have been on the look out for a vandal by the name of \'The Elusive Lout\'. Any information you could give would be gratefully received.
  • cooldad
    Why what? Indexing? It's basic routine maintenance.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • cooldad wrote:
    Why what? Indexing? It's basic routine maintenance.
    Not everyone can be bothered with the faff or potential mess of servicing their bike, that's why bike shops offer that service.

Some are not able to do it. Having known various guys who've worked at halfords over the years, even those expected to do it on a daily basis cannot do it correctly.

Saying everyone must be able to set up their gears is silly. It's a useful skill to have, but it's not essential unless you're taking your bike somewhere where there is no handy bike shop.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Indexing isn't servicing. it is maintenance, like checking the oil in a car, you don't leave it for the 20,000 miles between services without checking, and it's hardly a faff!

MTB's ridden properly need regular maintenance to the point where arguably they never need servicing as there is nothing left undone, not doing it yourself will add a reasonable cost to your cycling, I'm well paid by most standards but couldn't justify the extra cost of paying someone to do all those little jobs when it's quicker to DIY than to take it to the bike shop anyway!

I'll accept that 'bleeding' brakes, for many, would fall outside the above.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • I just put the whole "looking after your bike, bar washing it" under the servicing header.

From my experience with the general public, there are many that could set up their gears, but can't be bothered/don't want to, many that can't set up their gears even after trying and some who are scared to set up their gears "in case break something".

If someone wants to know how much an LBS charge to set up gears and such, I'll happily try and help them out, rather than chastising them for not knowing how to do it themselves.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Yeah but your posts suggest you work in a bike shop.........?

Not being able to index gears can cause an issue on the trail when a minor knock can throw the indexing out, so you risk losing the rest of the ride by walking or damaging the bike by riding it with poor indexing.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • 97th choice
    97th choice Posts: 2,222
    Fair point, but the others are just pointing out that there are things like indexing gears which need nothing more than a small screwdriver, an Allen key and a working internet connection to watch a you tube vid. If you want to drive to your LBS, not have your bike for 24-48 hours, and pay for what is in effect a 5-10 minute home job then fine. Here's some more menu pricing, you'll need to scroll down a bit

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/cust ... om-details
    Too-ra-loo-ra, too-ra-loo-rye, aye

Giant Trance
    Radon ZR 27.5 Race
    Btwin Alur700
    Merida CX500
  • cooldad
    Always nice to be able to do things for yourself when you are miles away from home/car, it's pissing down, and getting dark.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • Bike is a newly built bike, with avid elixr 1 brakes and deore shifters, I will be providing the parts, xt brakes and slx shifters. Hoses will need shortening. Brakes I can bed in but gears will need indexing.

If this was a job in our workshop.
    Brakes £35 inc VAT and new fuild
    Gears £11 inc VAT
  • mini_death
    mini_death Posts: 98
    edited December 2013
    The Rookie wrote:
    Yeah but your posts suggest you work in a bike shop.........?

Not being able to index gears can cause an issue on the trail when a minor knock can throw the indexing out, so you risk losing the rest of the ride by walking or damaging the bike by riding it with poor indexing.
    I do work in a bike shop.

You can still ride with poorly indexing gears, it's not about to eat your drivetrain while you get home. If it happens that frequently and cost and hassle becomes an issue for the person then I'm sure they'll be asking how to do it themselves. However, that's not the case in this situation.

I'm just answering the question asked. I'm sure the person is aware that they could learn to do it themselves if they were inclined to do so.

edit: This conversation looks like it'll go round in circles so I'll duck out now. The question has been answered. I hope you get it all sorted mate. Best of luck.
  • CitizenLee
    CitizenLee Posts: 2,227
    Toasted, ignore all the posts telling you what you should do with your time and money...

http://www.edinburghbicycle.com/comms/s ... htm#prices

Prices are pretty standard across the board ;)
    Current:
    NukeProof Mega FR 2012
    Cube NuRoad 2018
    Previous:
    2015 Genesis CdF 10, 2014 Cube Hyde Race, 2012 NS Traffic, 2007 Specialized SX Trail, 2005 Specialized Demo 8
  • CitizenLee wrote:
    Toasted, ignore all the posts telling you what you should do with your time and money...

http://www.edinburghbicycle.com/comms/s ... htm#prices

Prices are pretty standard across the board ;)

Thanks. That is all I need to know :D
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    Fitting shifters is pretty quick. £10-£15 should cover that and gear set up. Fitting brakes assuming hoses have to be cut a bit and the brakes (bleed and avids take a bit more time to bleed than most) pricing would be about £35 for both brakes. Most of that will be the bleed cost as it will take about ten minutes to fit the brakes and get the caliper centered maybe less.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.