shimano 105 bb help...

elderone
elderone Posts: 1,410
edited December 2013 in Workshop
My bike has a standard britsh bottm bracket that is square taper.I have a shimano 105 sm-fc 5600 bc1.37x24 bb that I want to fit.
Basically will the shimano one fit.
thanks.
Dulce et decorum est Pro patria mori

Comments

• Semantik
    Semantik Posts: 537
    Presume that is 105 Hollowtech 2 bottom bracket you want to install?
    Yes it will fit.
  • me-109
    me-109 Posts: 1,915
    … But your square taper cranks will not fit that BB.

Presume you know that ;-)
  • elderone
    Thanks chaps.
    Whats on now is a standard bb square taper running a sora 8 speed.What I have to go on now I know it will fit is the 105 bb and an ultegra crank set.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    get the BB shell faced by the LBS before fitting the external BB.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • elderone
    nicklouse wrote:
    get the BB shell faced by the LBS before fitting the external BB.
    Ok, but but what does that mean?
  • topdude
    topdude Posts: 1,557
    Ok, but but what does that mean
    Some people feel it necessary to have the outside faces and threads of the BB cleaned / cut to make sure both sides are parallel.
    Others (including myself) have never thought it necessary and had no problems fitting Hollowtech cups to many frames.
    It's up to you really :wink:
    He is not the messiah, he is a very naughty boy !!
  • elderone
    ok thank you.
  • I just changed from PowerSpline BB (same kind of fitting as your square taper) to Shimnao Hollowtech II chainset and asked Specialized if the shell needed faced and they said no it should have been done when it left the factory even though my bike was not fitted with external cups BB. I think a good clue is to look at the outside face of where the cups fit and if they are clean and shiny and well finished its probably been done but if they are painted, rough or unfinished looking it defo need done. AFAIK if you fit an external cups BB to a shell which needs faced but hasn't been the BB wears much faster and one side is usually overloaded. If its well faced the cups sit snugly and evenly and wear rate is better.