Rigida chrina

Garry H
Garry H Posts: 6,639
edited December 2013 in The workshop
Had decided to get a set of chrinas built for a daily forty mile round trip commute, but then read somewhere that, due to their relative narrowness, they may not safely accommodate 28or 32mm tyres. Does anyone have any experience of using this combination?

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    They will take them fine, but they are a very heavy rim for the size.
  • Are the Chrina a price point choice or a quality choice? If you can afford more, Open PRO are a bit wider and will take a 32 mm tyre comfortably... they also cost a lot more per pair. Open Sport could be the happy compromise, but they are not as good as the Chrina, in terms of rim quality
    left the forum March 2023
  • Have used the Rigida Chrina rim with 28mm Bontrager Race Lite Hardcase tyres for the past three years commuting 14 miles a day on the fixed gear bike, in all weather. It's laced to a dynamo hub so it's a heavy wheel anyway.

The rim is fairly worn now and I've got another Chrina to replace it, so it's probably lasted ~7,000 miles.
  • Garry H
    Are the Chrina a price point choice or a quality choice? If you can afford more, Open PRO are a bit wider and will take a 32 mm tyre comfortably... they also cost a lot more per pair. Open Sport could be the happy compromise, but they are not as good as the Chrina, in terms of rim quality
    A bit of both,mainly a quality issue but would like to keep cost to a max of gbp. 200. Possibly on 105 hubs and double butted spokes. Looking for longevity over anything else, so the thickness of the braking strip of the chrina's attracted me. They are for commuting duties only,so not that bothered about weight.

Ps. i still have the excellights you built me and they are still as true as day one.
  • Garry H wrote:
    Ps. i still have the excellights you built me and they are still as true as day one.

Oh, good... Excellight have 13 mm internal I seem to recall... try the tyres you want to use on those and if they fit OK, they will fit OK on the Chrina, although a bit harder to put on. 28 should be problem free, it's 32 that I'm not too sure, but most likely will be OK
    left the forum March 2023
  • gbsahne001
    gbsahne001 Posts: 1,973
    I've used the Chrina with tyres ranging from 25 - 37 and they've been fine
  • Garry H
    gbsahne wrote:
    I've used the Chrina with tyres ranging from 25 - 37 and they've been fine
    Cheers for that. Decision made then.