Bottom Bracket

Meatfox
Meatfox Posts: 155
edited December 2013 in MTB workshop & tech
My bottom bracket was grumbling and creaking so I replaced it, with exactly the same one as I pulled out of it.

However, when I took it for a test spin so satisfy myself that all was now well, the creaking is still there!

It's a press fit, and extraction and installation was fairly straightforward.

Chainset is in good condition and everything turns smoothly, including the new bottom bracket.
But when I put pressure on the cranks to accelerate....creak crack creak!

What could it be?

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Almost anything.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • dusk
    dusk Posts: 583
    it can happen with press fit, the smallest amount of play (even if you can't tell it's there) can cause a creak
    YT Wicked 160 ltd
    Cotic BFe
    DMR Trailstar
    Canyon Roadlite
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Seat post, saddle, not tight enough QR are 3common creak causes.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Could be pedals too. Double check the BB is flush with the BB shell (you did face it, right?) then check you installed your cranks correctly. Then start swapping parts with ones you know are good (any mates got some spare pedals you could pop on?) until it goes away.
    Community police have been on the look out for a vandal by the name of \'The Elusive Lout\'. Any information you could give would be gratefully received.
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    As above the last thing I would check it the BB do all the free stuff first like putting grease on the pedal threads ensuring chainring bolts are secure (maybe grease them too), try a different Q/R then therre all the contact point bolts.

The last thing you do is start swapping parts out that is the road to wasted money.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    mini_death wrote:
    Double check the BB is flush with the BB shell (you did face it, right?) .

Press fit doesnt need facing though it is good advice for external bearing BBs like HT2 and GPX
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap