Cycling book of the year 2013

Art Vandelay
Art Vandelay Posts: 1,982
edited December 2013 in Pro race
Brendan Gallagher has compiled a short list for Sweetspot's 'cycling book of the year 2013' (You can vote here:
http://thetour.co.uk/bookaward#.Uq2pN7TtX9t
I've not got round to reading any of these yet. What's the Bikeradar Pro-Race choice? Anything missed off?

Ps - you'll notice there's no 'Inside Team Sky' as it was published after the October 31st cut off so hopefully this thread won't descend into another pantomime thread.

On the Road Bike: The Search For a Nation's Cycling Soul. Ned Boulting.
Racing Hard, 20 Tumultuous Years in Cycling. William Fotheringham.
Cycling Anthology II, Tour de France centenary edition. Lionel Birnie and Ellis Bacon.
Easy Rider: My Life on a Bike. Rob Hayles.
Domestique. The True life Ups and Downs of a Tour Pro. Charlie Wegelius.
Hunger. Sean Kelly.
Mountain Higher: Europe’s Extreme, Undiscovered and Unforgettable Cycling Climbs. Friebe and Pete Goding.
Sean Yates: It’s All About the Bike. Sean Yates.
The Race Against Time: Obree, Boardman and the Quest to be the Fastest Man on Two Wheels. Edward Pickering.
Project Rainbow: How British Cycling Reached the Top of the World. Rod Ellingworth. Faber and Faber.
Mapping Le Tour de France. Ellis Bacon.
Land of Second Chances: The Impossible Rise of Rwanda's Cycling Team. Tim Lewis.

Comments

• No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 13,328
    I've read Race Against Time, Domestique and Racing Hard from those. All were good, but Wegelius takes the prize for me, a cracking read.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • I was unaware of a lot of these am I seem to be constantly playing catch up with books (I'm reading Olympic Gangster at the moment).

I'm curious about the race against time book as I think the profile of the Hour will rise again if those who are currently supposed to be interested in it come good.
    @JaunePeril

Winner of the Bike Radar Pro Race Wiggins Hour Prediction Competition
  • talking of the Hour, Wiggins has something to say about it in forthcoming interview on the team website...
  • napoleond
    napoleond Posts: 5,992
    Wegelius' book for me.
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • erroneous post!
    @JaunePeril

• talking of the Hour, Wiggins has something to say about it in forthcoming interview on the team website...

I think this has recently been debated but I really do see a crack at this as being something achievable for him and being track based and individual something you can imagine him being comfortable in targeting.

I'd love him to announce a crack at this September time next year (using the World's TT just before to open up his legs!)
    @JaunePeril

• iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    Domestique by a long way.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,391
    Inside Team Sky by David Walsh

*runs away* :P
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • ddraver wrote:
    Inside Team Sky by David Walsh

*runs away* :P

You. Naughty step. NOW
  • ratsbeyfus
    ratsbeyfus Posts: 2,841
    Domestique for me too. Properly moved by a cracking ending.

I had one of them red bikes but I don't any more. Sad face.

@ratsbey
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,114
    I've read the majority of those and think Domestique is the best of the lot. Surprisingly, I thought the Ned Boulting was excellent and Ed Pickering did a sterling job in retelling the story behind the Boardman/Obree era.
  • Wegelius looks like the favourite - will probably get a copy. Someone mentioned he came across as a bit of a moaner though. Any views on any of the others?
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Wegelius looks like the favourite - will probably get a copy. Someone mentioned he came across as a bit of a moaner though. Any views on any of the others?

It is a great book, he does come across moany but when you read the things he put up with in his career you can see why. I felt it to be refreshing that we didnt just get the old sportsman thing of reacing their dream and it being all rosy, to see the harsh side of it was interesting. Wait to you read about times he was called to say he'd be riding a GT like 10 days before hand or something.

Buy it and enjoy it.
  • salsiccia1
    salsiccia1 Posts: 3,725
    Wegelius looks like the favourite - will probably get a copy. Someone mentioned he came across as a bit of a moaner though. Any views on any of the others?

Sean Kelly's book is pretty good. It's exactly as you would expect it, pretty dry but lots of interesting stories.
    It's only a bit of sport, Mun. Relax and enjoy the racing.
  • Will get a copy of Domestique when it comes out in paperback. Keen to get Kelly's book too.
    Contador is the Greatest