shimano chain, remove any link?

ben-----
ben----- Posts: 573
edited December 2013 in Workshop
I've got a Shimano chain, don't know what type, on a road bike. I want to take it off. I've got a chain tool. Do I use it anywhere, on any link, or is there one particular one I should use? I've had a look, can't see any link which looks different, but it's a bit dirty so can't tell that accurately.

Thanks.

Comments

• sungod
    sungod Posts: 17,182
    are you going to refit it? you'll need either a new pin, or a kmc link (much more useful, next time you can easily remove/refit)

info+pics on removing/refitting here...

http://www.parktool.com/blog/repair-hel ... leur-bikes
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • ben-----
    > are you going to refit it?

This particular time, no. I've got a new chain to put on. But I'm also asking in general for when removing for cleaning in the future.

OK, great, thanks for the info.
  • Semantik
    Semantik Posts: 537
    You don't say whether it's an 8,9 or 10 sped chain. If it's an 8 speed you don't need any special links or rivets. You can cut and rejoin at any rivet using that same rivet. This was always the way until the new fangled stuff came along .
  • lc1981
    lc1981 Posts: 820
    If you're going to be removing and refitting it frequently, it might be better to just get a KMC chain that comes with a quick link. Much easier than using a chain tool to put a Shimano chain back together. I never really trust chains that have had the pins removed and replaced, ever since I had one break on me at the connecting pin.
  • corona
    corona Posts: 116
    I've used a chain tool on 8 speed and 10 speed shimano chains, you choose any link. if you want to use the chain again don't push the pin all the way out. There are loads of videos on how to do this on You Tube.
  • ben-----
    Semantik wrote:
    You don't say whether it's an 8,9 or 10 sped chain.

I had no idea how many cogs you have made any difference. It's an 8 speed.

The new chain I'm putting on is described "6, 7, 8 speed"; Shimano HG70.
    Semantik wrote:
    If it's an 8 speed you don't need any special links or rivets. You can cut and rejoin at any rivet using that same rivet.
    corona wrote:
    I've used a chain tool on 8 speed and 10 speed shimano chains, you choose any link.

That's good to know. Thanks.
    corona wrote:
    if you want to use the chain again don't push the pin all the way out. There are loads of videos on how to do this on You Tube.

I'll bear that in mind for when I want to take off the new chain in the future, thanks.
    lc1981 wrote:
    If you're going to be removing and refitting it frequently, it might be better to just get a KMC chain that comes with a quick link. Much easier than using a chain tool to put a Shimano chain back together. I never really trust chains that have had the pins removed and replaced, ever since I had one break on me at the connecting pin.

I'll bear that in mind for when I'm replacing the new chain.

Great, thanks for the info.