29er vs 26" performance benefit?

2»

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Giant have jumped ship early. Spesh are going to fall flat on their arse.
  • Hob Nob
    Hob Nob Posts: 200
    I'm noticeably quicker on a 29" bike, both XC and AM.

I think a lot of people have opinions based on early adoption to 29", there was some funky geometry that didn't suit much other than flat out XC.

Now there are more trail hardtails popping up, which are different, but no less fun to ride than smaller wheeled bikes. Then there is stuff like the BMC TF01 & Enduro 29, which are scarily fast, and fun to ride.
  • declan1
    declan1 Posts: 2,470
    CitizenLee wrote:
    Assuming you've probably rode various 26" bikes for a good few years before trying a 29er, did it ever cross you mind that 26" was too small and didn't roll well over obstacles, or is it just looking back?

Totally agree that anyone undecided should try them all as opinions are far too divided on the web :)

Nope, I just thought that was the way it was (which it was) :P

Only since the bigger wheels have appeared have I noticed that they roll over obstacles better.

Road - Dolan Preffisio
    MTB - On-One Inbred

I have no idea what's going on here.
  • Daz555
    Daz555 Posts: 3,976
    The good thing about 650b is at least it means I won't have to buy a 29er when I replace my bike in a few years time. For a while it looked like 29er was going to replace all before it.

My dislike for 29er is entirely aesthetic. They just don't look right - like a newborn giraffe - a gangly mess. :mrgreen:

Will 26" ever come back again to rule the marketing/performance roost?
    You only need two tools: WD40 and Duck Tape.
    If it doesn't move and should, use the WD40.
    If it shouldn't move and does, use the tape.
  • CitizenLee wrote:
    A lot of people who jumped early on the 29er bandwagon might disagree but it does look to be going that way. Giant have said they plan to pretty much phase out 29ers over the next couple of years, along with 26" (apart from Glory maybe). I know that's only 1 company but they're not the only one hailing 27.5 as the best thing to happen to mountain biking. Maybe they're right, but I still think for the majority of normal people all the supposed performance gain is simply placebo affect after spunking a wad on a new bike. Especially if it's a different type of bike like changing h/t to f/s etc. I remain unconvinced until I try the exact same model with 26" and 27.5".

The advantages are not a placebo IMO.

I just find that its not worth the trade off when it comes to turning. 29ers feel like tanks,
  • 97th choice
    97th choice Posts: 2,222
    declan1 wrote:

You don't have to believe what they all say. If you don't like 27.5, that's fair enough. I personally find 26ers too small as they don't roll over obstacles very well. 29ers feel way too big but roll over everything as though it's not there. 27.5 rolls over obstacles well but still keeps the nimble handling of the 26er.

I'm saying this out of personal experience and opinion - I think the only way to decide is to ride all three.

When reading this I'm suddenly reminded of two children's fables, the princess and the pea, and the emperors new clothes
    Too-ra-loo-ra, too-ra-loo-rye, aye

Giant Trance
    Radon ZR 27.5 Race
    Btwin Alur700
    Merida CX500
  • Hob Nob
    Hob Nob Posts: 200
    kammybear wrote:
    The advantages are not a placebo IMO.

I just find that its not worth the trade off when it comes to turning. 29ers feel like tanks,

Without deliberately trying to be awkward, you need to learn to go round corners then. :)
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Maybe you need to learn to read what was written rather than what you think was written.

29ers do FEEL, slower to turn than a 26er for a number of very good physical reasons, even compared to my few hundred quid Carrera based hardtail a £4K Trek Superfly Elite felt slow to turn and more cumbersome, it doesn't mean it can't corner as quickly, but they do inherently feel slower to turn, hence all the effort put in try and improve it.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Daz555 wrote:
    The good thing about 650b is at least it means I won't have to buy a 29er when I replace my bike in a few years time. For a while it looked like 29er was going to replace all before it.

My dislike for 29er is entirely aesthetic. They just don't look right - like a newborn giraffe - a gangly mess. :mrgreen:

Will 26" ever come back again to rule the marketing/performance roost?

I don't think 26" will ever rule again, neither will 29". 27.5 is the natural choice and should have been the wheel size from the start. If it had been, neither 26 nor 29 would have caught on. They may have been considered and tried but thats about all.
    Planet X Kaffenback 2
    Giant Trance X2
    Genesis High Latitude 2x10
    Planet X n2a
    Genesis Core 20
  • benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148
    Im with the lone groover here. Having spent a lot of time on 26 and 27.5, 27.5 is better IMHO. Its not just about the tyre size, but also the geo you can run. The low bottom bracket on the Whytes that everyone's raving about isn't just low relative to the ground, its low relative to the axles too, and that gives a bike a really nice feel. Some people would say thats only a 12.7mm difference, and they'd be right, but thats a 30-50% increase in BB drop for example. Do that on a 26 and its pedal strike madness. Its not to say 26 is bad, but I think of it like a bell curve. 26 is on the up slope, 27.5 is somewhere near the top, and 29 is on the way back down again. Its a combination of many factors that make 27.5 a bit better than 26 in every way that really counts (except weight). Not saying that 27.5 is the right size, its just the best of the 3 we have to choose from. Maybe 28 would be better, maybe 27 would be better. The reality is we'll probably never know, so make the most of whats available.

I think one of the key factors (beyond parts availability) thats driving this change is the fact that nowadays bike manufacturers really understand the impact geometry has on a bike, far more so than say even 10 years back. Experimentation and evolution has meant we understand far more how half a degree there, 10mm here can effect a ride. Once you know that, you can then plan around how to accommodate wheels while maintaining the 'feel' of a bike much better.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • The Rookie
    benpinnick wrote:
    26 is on the up slope, 27.5 is somewhere near the top, and 29 is on the way back down again. Its a combination of many factors that make 27.5 a bit better than 26 in every way that really counts (except weight). Not saying that 27.5 is the right size, its just the best of the 3 we have to choose from. Maybe 28 would be better, maybe 27 would be better.
    Except we have 26, 27 and 28.5 right now (despite the marketing names), so the logical next try would be 27.75 I guess!

IF (yes a big if) I were to change right now I'd give a 650B/27 a try, as it is I'll stick with the 26 or maybe consider converting it to 650B! (Lets see, spokes, rims, tyres, maybe forks, maybe tubes!)
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148
    The Rookie wrote:
    benpinnick wrote:
    26 is on the up slope, 27.5 is somewhere near the top, and 29 is on the way back down again. Its a combination of many factors that make 27.5 a bit better than 26 in every way that really counts (except weight). Not saying that 27.5 is the right size, its just the best of the 3 we have to choose from. Maybe 28 would be better, maybe 27 would be better.
    Except we have 26, 27 and 28.5 right now (despite the marketing names), so the logical next try would be 27.75 I guess!

IF (yes a big if) I were to change right now I'd give a 650B/27 a try, as it is I'll stick with the 26 or maybe consider converting it to 650B! (Lets see, spokes, rims, tyres, maybe forks, maybe tubes!)

Actually we have 26.5, 27.5 and 29.5... but thats being pedantic ;)
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    I think the most important thing it to ride the bike you like the most regardless of wheel size. Each size has it's performance advantages but unless you're racing and competing for top results does a speed difference really matter all that much?
    For most people the performance only really makes a difference in the pub when arguing about whos bike is best.
    I know a 29er would be faster for me (I tried a Tracer 29 and Remedy 29) for enduro type tiding but I have more fun on 26" wheels.
  • The Rookie
    benpinnick wrote:
    The Rookie wrote:
    benpinnick wrote:

Actually we have 26.5, 27.5 and 29.5... but thats being pedantic ;)
    It depends on the tyre size, but as we started at 26" nominal with 2" tyres , referencing from that as being the standard makes most sense!
  • CitizenLee
    CitizenLee Posts: 2,227
    I think the most important thing it to ride the bike you like the most regardless of wheel size. Each size has it's performance advantages but unless you're racing and competing for top results does a speed difference really matter all that much?
    For most people the performance only really makes a difference in the pub when arguing about whos bike is best.
    I know a 29er would be faster for me (I tried a Tracer 29 and Remedy 29) for enduro type tiding but I have more fun on 26" wheels.

Nail hit squarely in the head.
    Current:
    NukeProof Mega FR 2012
    Cube NuRoad 2018
    Previous:
    2015 Genesis CdF 10, 2014 Cube Hyde Race, 2012 NS Traffic, 2007 Specialized SX Trail, 2005 Specialized Demo 8
  • I guess for me next year i was thinking of upgrading my bike somewhat and the whole 650b thing has made me consider buying a new steed, now for the benefits of 650b i'd get the newer version of my machine for the most similar handling bike i can find.. but more to make sure as new tech comes out i can access it easily.

That makes me feel grumpy.. as i'm seeing a phasing out of relevant gear for 26" machine in terms of staying on the more cutting edge side of the technology...
  • rockmonkeysc
    Can you give an example of new technology available in 27.5" but not 26"?
  • Several new wheel sets i've seen coming out are not in 26" now.

it's small fry at the moment but I', more concerned it will be a bigger trend when it comes to general gear, 650b and 29er getting the most love and then 26" being the realm of heavier duty DH stuff
  • 97th choice
    97th choice Posts: 2,222
    I guess for me next year i was thinking of upgrading my bike somewhat and the whole 650b thing has made me consider buying a new steed, now for the benefits of 650b i'd get the newer version of my machine for the most similar handling bike i can find.. but more to make sure as new tech comes out i can access it easily.

That makes me feel grumpy.. as i'm seeing a phasing out of relevant gear for 26" machine in terms of staying on the more cutting edge side of the technology...

General stuff? What general stuff apart from wheels and forks would you worry about being unsuitable for a 26" bike?
    Too-ra-loo-ra, too-ra-loo-rye, aye

Giant Trance
    Radon ZR 27.5 Race
    Btwin Alur700
    Merida CX500
  • rockmonkeysc
    You can use 650b forks with 26" wheels as long as you allow for the A-C difference.
  • Yup wheels, forks and tyres.

Probably where the most noticble difference in tech goes IMO these days, (except for the 11 speed revolution)
  • You can use 650b forks with 26" wheels as long as you allow for the A-C difference.

The a2c is the same, it is the bottom of the rim to the ground which is higher.
  • going to say wouldn't be my choice to do that.

I guess my biggest worry is tyre choice will become very limited in time, that would be frustrating after paying a fortune to make the bike my ideal bike.

I just love the frame, if the 2014 came frame only i'd get that and boom job done build that up over time :)
  • poah
    poah Posts: 3,369
    29's look too big and gay Id never buy one

27.5 is what I'll get next, not because I prefer but more than likely you'll not get a 26 anymore by the time I come to buy a new bike lol

at my level of fitness/skill I doubt changing wheel sizes would make a blind bit of difference.

the whole idea of discussing it is kinda pointless almost like discussing what handlebar width to get - each person will be different. only thing you can do is go out and test the bikes and see what you think.
  • if its a better post i agree.

but it is interesting to hear peoples point of veiw, and when certain items are only being made in one of the formats it becomes less of a choice thing and more of a buy this if you want to have upto date gear in the future
  • rockmonkeysc
    How does the height of the bottom bracket relative to the height of the axles make any difference?
    I can't see a logical reason why it would have any effect.
  • plugp7
    plugp7 Posts: 298
    Perhaps rider height is more relevent to wheel size choice. A lot of the small size 29ers just don't look right. You have to ask how anyone can ride them efficiently?
    Cotic Soul 26 inch. Whyte T130
  • rockmonkeysc
    plugp7 wrote:
    Perhaps rider height is more relevent to wheel size choice. A lot of the small size 29ers just don't look right. You have to ask how anyone can ride them efficiently?

A friend of mine is 5'4" and gets regular top fives in endurance races on a 29er, pretty quick on tech trails as well.
    Rob Cooksley won the 2011 UK gravity enduro series on a Tracer 29er and he's fairly short.
    I'm pretty sure height has nothing to do with what size wheels you need. It might not look right but for some short people 29ers can work.
  • plugp7
    plugp7 Posts: 298
    plugp7 wrote:

A friend of mine is 5'4" and gets regular top fives in endurance races on a 29er, pretty quick on tech trails as well.
    Rob Cooksley won the 2011 UK gravity enduro series on a Tracer 29er and he's fairly short.
    I'm pretty sure height has nothing to do with what size wheels you need. It might not look right but for some short people 29ers can work.

Not quite your average riders, but like you say, it can work for some short riders. Then again, it depends if pure speed is why ride?
    Cotic Soul 26 inch. Whyte T130