Taster Tour

BridlingtonBiker
BridlingtonBiker Posts: 152
edited February 2014 in Tour & expedition
Hi all. Next year I'm thinking of giving touring a go, however due to a lack of holiday from work, they will almost certainly be two day weekend tours that are local for me. I'd love to fully support myself with a tent and cook for myself but without going and spending £1000 plus on a dedicated touring bike, could my road bike take the additional weight?

The bike is a Boardman road bike. Alley frame and carbon fork. Rim brakes and a compact chainset. No rack eyelets unfortunately.

In favour I'd be sticking to roads and I only weight 60kg

Comments

• Diogenes
    Diogenes Posts: 1,628
    About 8 years ago my club decided to do the C2C over a weekend. All bar one of us used tourers but one used a Cannondale road bike with a bag supported from a seatpost mount. Also he had a 53/39 chainring so not ideal. He made it without any mechnicals but promptly found himself a second hand tourer for future jaunts. So, yes it can be done with a seat post mount or rucksack but you may not enjoy the ride.

Once loaded up the bike weight is less of an issue, you may wish to consider getting a hybrid or second hand tourer / cross bike which will take the load.

D :D
  • Yes I've started hunting around for something which maybe more suitable. I've also seen a tobus rear rack which can mount with a special QR wheel skewer, so this may be an option.

I have a third option which is to get some slick tyres for my hard tail mountain bike. This has the benefit of much lower gearing than the road bike.

Thoughts?
  • Diogenes
    Diogenes Posts: 1,628
    Self supported I would use the hardtail with a rack and slicks. Credit card touring you could go on the road bike. Touring is as much about being out and enjoying the places as it is about the ride. If it were me I would use the hardtail and have fun.

D :D
  • Knowing my Trek Domane 4.3 would not carry the load for my first tour I purchased a Dawes Galaxy touring bike, it was a joy to ride, made all the steep hills on the Barrow to Whitby tour, carrying two rear pannier bags. This year I'm off camping in France knowing my Dawes will be more than adequate for the addition of front panniers and camping gear. Go for comfort and a load carrier, there's a big choice of quality touring bikes out there at very reasonable prices.
  • Thanks for the advice
  • mea00csf
    mea00csf Posts: 558
    I'd go for the hardtail mountain bike with slicks and a proper rack. It' doesn't really matter what attachments you have on your bike for this, you'll be able to bodge a rack on one way or another, even if that a QR skewer and seatpost clamp. We've done everything from cycling on perfect cycle paths on the Danube to 2 weeks fully self supported in Iceland.

My usual setup:
    5165878.jpg
  • bigjim
    bigjim Posts: 780
    I've done the Munich to Vienna and Czech Republic and camping in France on a road/sports bike. Put a bigger rear tyre on and no problems. Oh and a bigger rear cassette. I weigh 90kg.
    See it here http://adenough1.blogspot.co.uk/