Cable replacement - how often?

brettjmcc
brettjmcc Posts: 1,361
edited December 2013 in Workshop
I just was wondering how often members replace their cables/outers on their bikes?

I like to keep my bike well maintained, but have noticed over the last year, the fron derailleur on my Ultegra 6600 is really difficult to shift back up tot he big ring despite forever fettling and thought maybe new cables may help? I've had the bike since 2010 and it was 2nd hand then (a 2008/9 Dale synapse)
BMC GF01
Quintana Roo Cd01
Project High End Hack
Cannondale Synapse SL (gone)
I like Carbon

Comments

• desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    I do mine roughly once a year. But that's partly because I usually have at least one crash and need to do the bar tape, so I take the opportunity to do the cables.

What fettling have you tried on your bike?
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • About once a year for me too
  • Used to change every year but since putting gore sealed cables on havn't needed to. well worth the extra pounds. Every now and again i disconnect the front deraileur and lube it while flexing it back and forth. I find that in the winter the smallest amount of grit can slow it down.
  • marcusjb
    marcusjb Posts: 2,412
    Every 10000km or so.
  • When they need it.......I.e when the shifting starts to be affected and you have to keep re indexing. The only regular maintenance I do is swap out the housing loop going into the RD. This does get worn and can fill up with road crap.
    Why make work for yourself and waste money replacing perfectly good cables ......
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    I have 10 year-old Nokons on 1 bike - they truly are fit and forget. I only replace outers when they are damaged or changing bars or shifters. Inners get replaced more frequently - but again, only if frayed damaged. Changing cables is a huge earners for bike shops when the reality is they simply need a flush-through and re-lube. Old rear mech cables also get switched to fronts - it's only the end that gets damaged.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • brettjmcc
    DesWeller wrote:
    What fettling have you tried on your bike?

Generally spraying down the liners with PTFE and regualrly cleaning etc. The shift performance going ontot he big ring is very hard and has had me having to regularly play with the H/L screws. It normally take me a few goes to get it up there and in some cases almost stop edalling as I am having to concentrate so much
    BMC GF01
    Quintana Roo Cd01
    Project High End Hack
    I like Carbon
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    The main issue with front mechs is getting the alignment correct rather than the indexing or cables, but do make sure the cables aren't gunked-up under the BB. The mech cage needs to be parallel with the chainrings outside, lower edge of the cage needs to clear the big ring by 1-3mm. Plenty of online tutorials on Youtube/Parktool etc. Set the stopscrews on small chainring/large sprocket and large chainring/small sprocket.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • brettjmcc
    Monty, yes done all that including using feeler gauges to get the spacing right. It really struggles to seem to get movement tyo push the front across
    BMC GF01
    Quintana Roo Cd01
    Project High End Hack
    I like Carbon
  • What about brake cables? My cables feel like their stretched but I don't know enough to know for sure.
  • What about brake cables? My cables feel like their stretched but I don't know enough to know for sure.

If they're stretched, just adjust the cable lengthening screw on the brake caliper; a stretched steel cable doesn't become elastic, it just gets very slightly longer.... I would assume your brake pads have worn out a bit and are sitting further from the rim than when new and so you have to pull the lever further to get the same brake pressure.

BTW, I never change my gear cables unless the ends fray.
  • desweller
    It's possible that the derailleur itself is binding up. It's something I've run into myself.
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • DesWeller wrote:
    It's possible that the derailleur itself is binding up. It's something I've run into myself.

+1
  • Try changing the cable.....there should be no need to play with the stops after it's been set up in the first place.
  • buckles
    buckles Posts: 694
    I replace my gear inner cables when they break at the shifter, which is roughly every 6 months with Tiagra shifters.
    25% off your first MyProtein order: sign up via https://www.myprotein.com/referrals.lis ... EE-R29Y&li or use my referral code LEE-R29Y
  • Buckles wrote:
    I replace my gear inner cables when they break at the shifter, which is roughly every 6 months with Tiagra shifters.

???????? You're clearly doing something seriously wrong when setting it up
  • desweller
    Buckles wrote:

:shock:

There is something wrong with your shifters!
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • buckles
    buckles Posts: 694
    Buckles wrote:

Errr, clearly not, as it's a well documented problem with Tiagra and older 105 shifters.
    25% off your first MyProtein order: sign up via https://www.myprotein.com/referrals.lis ... EE-R29Y&li or use my referral code LEE-R29Y
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    I only do it when the cables feel gritty one easy way to tell is simply pull the brake lever and you will feel if the cables are in need of changing or relube and for gear cables if down shift it is slow while upshift is just fine then attention is required. Given bar tape has to come of which does not always come of in one piece it is quicker to see if a re lubs in the inner sorts the problems. If it does not then change the inner if that does not have the inner sliding in the outer smoothly then change the outers. I agree alot of shop do make money out of this and sometimes it is not always needed.

My campagnolo cables on the winter bike are seeing their third winter and and 10,000 miles and you what they are fine, I have not even had to lube them, I am sure if I had taken it to a shop they would have been changed in a "service".
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • brettjmcc
    DesWeller wrote:

I've even taken the cable out and given it a good clean. It moves throught he whole range. Maybe a stip down again over Christmas, as it probably could hurt to have a cable replacement after 3-4 years and give something else to do... :)
    BMC GF01
    Quintana Roo Cd01
    Project High End Hack
    I like Carbon
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Buckles wrote:
    Buckles wrote:

Errr, clearly not, as it's a well documented problem with Tiagra and older 105 shifters.

Not exactly every 6 months, but my 2007 vintage 105 RH shifter seems to gnaw through the cable every 2-3000 miles. And I've just put Tiagra on the other bike, so I'll see how that goes.