egg shaped tyre

apple eater
apple eater Posts: 302
edited December 2013 in MTB workshop & tech
i've just fitted a brand new bontrager team issue 29x2.35 tyre and it is egg shaped and is rubbing intermittently on my front mech.

I've tried numerous things such as riding around the house on a low inflation to try and reposition any out of alignment but to no avail. I've checcked the tyre is on evenly judging by the rim bead line on the tyre and all is pretty good.

Any help on this as it will be my first ride in about 5 or 6 weeks tomorrow and i would like to make it without mucking something up.
I don't know enough to make smart r's remarks about peoples choice of parts 'n' things, yet!

Comments

• jimothy78
    jimothy78 Posts: 1,407
    If you're sure it's seated properly, then it may be malformed, in which case I'd return it.
    However, just to be sure, take it off, clean the tyre bead and the bead seat of the rim thoroughly, then apply some soapy water to both before remounting the tyre. With the wheel horizontal, pump it up hard whilst occasionally stopping to give it a thump all round to help it pop into place properly.
  • thanks for the tips but no matter what it will not seat in a circular fit so i have resigned myself to use the balding original tyre and change the new tyre for a replacement.
    I don't know enough to make smart r's remarks about peoples choice of parts 'n' things, yet!
  • we've had the occasional Bontrager tire end up like that in the shop.
    ask for a replacement like you suggested.