how do I get rid of lube on my zipp 404 brake track ?

insanibasha
insanibasha Posts: 25
edited December 2013 in Road general
I accidentally spilled some lube on my brake right brake track on my zipp 404 tubulars, now it's all shiny and not that sticky anymore. What should I do? should I just ride and let the brake pads do the job or should I clean it with my degreaser, I already wiped it with baby wipes by the way. please help

Comments

• napoleond
    napoleond Posts: 5,992
    White spirit/petrol will do it
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • since i don't have petrol or white spirit, can I se a degreaser?
  • *use
  • since i don't have petrol or white spirit, can I se a degreaser?

Not a good idea. Get some acetone. I use Park Tool Chain Brite degreaser (citrus based) to clean off old tub glue and once finished I give the wheels a good clean down with acetone. Zipp advise it too.
  • desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    Hot water and detergent.
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • animal72
    animal72 Posts: 251
    Brake/chain cleaner if you've got some.
    Condor Super Acciaio, Record, Deda, Pacentis.
    Curtis 853 Handbuilt MTB, XTR, DT Swiss and lots of Hope.
    Genesis Datum Gravel Bike, Pacentis (again).
    Genesis Equilibrium Disc, 105 & H-Plus-Son.

Mostly Steel.
  • Proff
    Proff Posts: 41
    Many years ago when I was an apprentice printer. One of the old guys who taught me, told me that spit is one of the best degreasers known to man. Trust me it works.
  • Proff wrote:
    Many years ago when I was an apprentice printer. One of the old guys who taught me, told me that spit is one of the best degreasers known to man. Trust me it works.

If you mix it with ground maggots and a leaf of mint it works even better :wink:
    left the forum March 2023
  • Proff
    Proff Posts: 41
    I'll have to see if our stores guy can order some in. :wink:
  • Padeye
    Padeye Posts: 38
    +1 for acetone, it's what manufacturers of composites use to clean parts before bonding together.
  • Something a bit less aggressive than acetone is carb cleaner/isopropyl alcohol. It's also sold as electrical contact cleaner in aerosol form.
  • RyC
    RyC Posts: 25
    Use Break Spray, Its used in the motortrade for exactly this reason, you can get from numerous places, one of which is Euro Carparts and costs about 2.50 for a 500ml aerosol can and can also be used the clean chains etc but be careful as it is a very strong degreaser
  • The roughest sandpaper you can find. Not only will it get rid of the lube, it'll vastly improve your braking surface.
  • crankycrank
    crankycrank Posts: 1,830
    You could also just use some diluted washing up liquid and finish off with a clean damp towel. Make sure you wipe off the brake pad surface as well.