Shimano brake lever interchangeabilty

jimothy78
jimothy78 Posts: 1,407
edited December 2013 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi all,

I think my rear brake has a leaking seal on the reservoir. The only place i can find a replacement part is a shop in Germany that only want £2 for the part but £7 postage, so I'm wondering if it might almost be better to bite the bullet and buy a new lever (at least then if I'm wrong in my diagnosis is wrong I'll still be fixing the leak one way or the other).

I'm currently using Deore m596s, but am I right in thinking that any lever with the same basic shape (Deore m615, SLX m675, etc) will give the right stroke-to-volume ratio to work with the calliper?

Also, is there any point getting the SLX? - as far as I can see, the main difference is that with the m615 you don't get any freestroke adjustment, but that hasn't been an issue on my 596s.

Comments

• declan1
    declan1 Posts: 2,470
    The 615 calipers are basically the same but with Ice-tech pad compatibility. I would personally just pay the £9 to get the replacement part instead of risking it with a new lever though.

Road - Dolan Preffisio
    MTB - On-One Inbred

I have no idea what's going on here.
  • jimothy78
    declan1 wrote:
    The 615 calipers are basically the same but with Ice-tech pad compatibility.

So are the levers are the same, then?
    I would personally just pay the £9 to get the replacement part instead of risking it with a new lever though.

In what way "risking it"? To my way of thinking, the risk is that I buy the seal but that doesn't work, and that's £9 wasted, whereas I can spend £16.50 on a whole new lever for a guaranteed fix.
  • declan1
    declan1 Posts: 2,470
    jimothy78 wrote:
    declan1 wrote:
    The 615 calipers are basically the same but with Ice-tech pad compatibility.

So are the levers are the same, then?
    I would personally just pay the £9 to get the replacement part instead of risking it with a new lever though.

In what way "risking it"? To my way of thinking, the risk is that I buy the seal but that doesn't work, and that's £9 wasted, whereas I can spend £16.50 on a whole new lever for a guaranteed fix.

I didn't realize the levers were that cheap! I don't know if they're exactly the same, but the levers are very similar with only the 'silver bit' that looks different. I suppose a new lever would be a better option.

Road - Dolan Preffisio
    MTB - On-One Inbred

I have no idea what's going on here.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    All Shimano levers area interchangeable.....
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • jimothy78
    The Rookie wrote:
    All Shimano levers area interchangeable.....
    Thanks for that. I assume I'd need a new olive, too - anything else?
  • The Rookie
    Lever only, use the olive already on the hose, also fluid and bleed kit.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • jimothy78
    The Rookie wrote:
    Lever only, use the olive already on the hose,
    Really? Assumed olives were single-use.
    Thanks again.
  • The Rookie
    Nope, Olives can be re-used just fine unless they have got damaged.
  • plugp7
    plugp7 Posts: 298
    Just get a new M596 lever. There are still some around.
    Cotic Soul 26 inch. Whyte T130