Brakes

Samc1234567890
Samc1234567890 Posts: 33
edited December 2013 in MTB general
Hi, Looking for the best hydraulic brakes i can get for £100 not bothered if they're new or not as long as the work can anyone recommend some good makes ?

Comments

• rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Shimano SLX, around £100 new if you shop around. You won't get any better unless you double your budget.
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    Agreed
  • Or
    Shimano Deore Disc Brake BR-M615 Set £78.78 from bike-discount.de, cracking value full retail stuff in the box.
  • But prob euro
  • WindyG
    WindyG Posts: 1,099
    Go with the SLX, my wife has them on her bike and I wish I had them on mine compared to the Avid's I have at the moment.
  • rockmonkeysc
    JohnBurt wrote:
    Or
    Shimano Deore Disc Brake BR-M615 Set £78.78 from bike-discount.de, cracking value full retail stuff in the box.

They come with the levers around the wrong way but unless you have an XXXL size frame you will need to cut down the hoses anyway.
    I got a set of Deores from bike-discount.de in May for £65 while they were reduced.
  • lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    Missed a cracking deal the other day, Rose had XTR Trails for £75 each!! :shock: I imagine they sold out pretty damn quick at that price!!
  • declan1
    declan1 Posts: 2,470
    SLX front and rear on Merlin for £109

http://www.merlincycles.com/bike-shop/m ... r-set.html

Or Deores for £80
    http://www.merlincycles.com/bike-shop/m ... r-set.html

Both great brakesets. I have the Deores myself and couldn't ask for more. Just don't go for Avid brakes - I'm probably starting an argument here but I think the feel at the lever is rubbish and they look stupid.

Road - Dolan Preffisio
    MTB - On-One Inbred

I have no idea what's going on here.
  • rockmonkeysc
    I went from Avid X0 to Deores.
    The deores are more powerful, have a nicer feel and are more reliable and easier to bleed. They are heavier but at a quater of the price of the X0 I wont complain.
  • They come with the levers around the wrong" way but unless you have an XXXL size frame you will need to cut down the hoses anyway.
    I got a set of Deores from bike-discount.de in May for £65 while they were reduced.[/quote]

What do you mean the levers were round the wrong way sorry if that was a stupid question :D
  • rockmonkeysc
    Left lever operates the front instead of the usual set up where the right operates the front.
    You can't just fit the levers upside down, they wont work.
    You need to disconnect the hoses, shorten them to suit your frame then reconnect them to the correct levers and bleed the brakes. If you need to shorten the hoses anyway its no more work.
  • Thanks for explaining it helped, can you tell me if this is all i need for the braking ?
    SHIMANO Disc Rotor SLX SM-RT66S 160mm 6-bolt - For the rear
    SHIMANO Disc Rotor SLX SM-RT66M 180mm 6-bolt - For the front
    SHIMANO Adaptor SM-MA-F180P/P2 front 180mm post mount -
    SHIMANO Adaptor SM-MA-R160P/S rear 160mm post mount
    SHIMANO Deore Disc Brake BR-M615 Set
    Or am i missing anything, thanks for the help
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    As long as both your mountings are post mount, common on forks but frames tend to be IS.

You can just use whatever your existing discs are and the adapters anyway (?).
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • rockmonkeysc
    That should do the job but I wouldn't bother replacing the discs unless they are worn and unless you are changing to different size discs you don't need new adaptors.
  • The are no previous discs its a bike i have been building up from scratch how do i tell whether the rear is a post mount or IS ?
  • rockmonkeysc
    The are no previous discs its a bike i have been building up from scratch how do i tell whether the rear is a post mount or IS ?

Google images