reverb stealth

morleyman200
morleyman200 Posts: 513
edited February 2014 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi all

I've had a look on forums, but haven't found problems that similar to mine, so here goes.

I had a new stealth reverb post on my new bike, had to trim the cable, re-attached it and it needed a bleed.

I did the bleed procedure for the remote, but i have some issues:

-the post will extend to almost all of its travel, but i have to pull a little to get it to extend the full amount (20mm)
-The speed adjuster knob does not work at all, before i trimmed the cable it did.
- When i sit on the post at full extension, the post compresses about 10-20mm, however if the post is at half mast, it does compress when i sit on it.

Do i need to do a full bleed for the post? as in attach a syringe at the post end as well, if thats the case, is the bleed procedure the same for the stealth as it is for the standard.

things to note:
PSI hasnt been changed at all, it is about 150.
Post was in full working order before i trimmed the cable.

Could you possibly help me.

Thanks

Tom

Comments

• declan1
    declan1 Posts: 2,470
    I have no idea about how these work but the symptoms do sound awfully like there's air in the system. I would give it a full bleed and see how that works.

Road - Dolan Preffisio
    MTB - On-One Inbred

I have no idea what's going on here.
  • dusk
    dusk Posts: 583
    You need 250psi in it, any less and the post can compress when you sit on it. Then see if anything is still wrong
    YT Wicked 160 ltd
    Cotic BFe
    DMR Trailstar
    Canyon Roadlite
  • thanks guys, i have given the complete system a couple of bleeds, and i have given several separate bleeds to the remote, still no luck.

I have checked the air pressure, it was at 150, pumped it up, but still no luck, every time i check the pressure, it seems to of reduced by 50psi or so.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Tom
  • benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148
    Did you check the speed adjuster was fully open before the bleed?
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • before the bleed i set the adjuster to the slow position, as per SRAMs instructions
  • just had another look, i took the post out the frame, when i compress the post, both activating and not activating i can hear air coming out from the bottom, near where the hose joins.
  • dusk
    dusk Posts: 583
    something broken then, mines only loses a bit of pressure (<50psi) over a number of weeks
    YT Wicked 160 ltd
    Cotic BFe
    DMR Trailstar
    Canyon Roadlite
  • Im just checking mine as it seems to drop by 1-2mm when I apply weight to the post at any height, I checked pressure was at 200psi so added some to get 250psi but still the same, it's only 2 month old.
    Not sure if it's the norm or not any advice will be appreciated.
    YT Capra Pro Race
    Trek Remedy 2013 (sold)
    Cube Reaction GTC Pro (sold)
    Gary Fisher Hoo Koo E Koo
  • warranty it, essentially if you're confident you can bleed something properly and that doesn't fix it then warranty it.
  • Yer I've thought about bleeding it but first before I try anything thought I would try and find out if it's the norm or not, the only thing I noticed from new is the remote button does seem a bit lazy to return but goes up and down without any problems speed adjuster is fully working,
    Thanks Andy
    YT Capra Pro Race
    Trek Remedy 2013 (sold)
  • After getting in touch with place of purchase they said there should be no up/down movement and recommended I send it back for warranty, as the post has only been used a dozen rides this is quite annoying but might as well get it sorted

Does anyone know if they usually repair or send a replacement?
    YT Capra Pro Race
    Trek Remedy 2013 (sold)