Aligning power torque BB30 cups

0Roller0
0Roller0 Posts: 8
edited January 2014 in Workshop
I have a cannondale supersix 105 and am swapping the groupset to campagnolo veloce. I installed the bb30 adapter cups but when I put the chainset in it doesn't spin that freely. I was wondering if I should remove cups and start again (anyone have a homemade tips on how to do this) or if I have simply put a washer in the wrong place.

Comments

• bikeit65
    bikeit65 Posts: 998
    Did you torque the chainset correctly?
    https://www.instagram.com/seanmcgrathphotography/
    Trek Domane SL7 GEN4
    Planet X RT58
    Cannondale CAAD 10 2012.
    Pain.. Is weakness leaving the body.

HATING LIFE-CYCLES FROM 2011
  • I don't have a torque wrench but I tightened it various amounts and it didn't make a difference. The resistance appears to be coming from some rubber washer type thing on the right hand cup that is now in the bottom bracket shell. The campagnolo instructions are worse than useless so it's hard to know what goes where!
  • majormantra
    majormantra Posts: 2,094
    My experience of Power Torque is that it never spins particularly freely. (Based on standard threaded BB installations.)

If it's not actually binding it may be fine.
  • 0Roller0 wrote:
    I don't have a torque wrench but I tightened it various amounts and it didn't make a difference. The resistance appears to be coming from some rubber washer type thing on the right hand cup that is now in the bottom bracket shell. The campagnolo instructions are worse than useless so it's hard to know what goes where!

By right hand cup, do you mean the drive side cup? As far as I remember there was no rubber washer type thing anywhere on my Veloce crankset when I installed it in my BB30 cups.
  • Yes it seems to be a rubber seal built into both cups but a good spin only moves the cranks round about 1 rotation (without a chain).
  • 0Roller0 wrote:
    Yes it seems to be a rubber seal built into both cups but a good spin only moves the cranks round about 1 rotation (without a chain).

Any chance of a photo? Sorry to ask but I presume you have the correct Power Torque cups for BB30 (there are many types of Campag bottom bracket cups). Power Torque come with bearings in the none drive side, but not in the drive side as they are attached to the crank. They should look like this:

56128_zps8b042768.jpg
  • Did the OP ever resove this issue , having a similar issue with Power Torque BB30 cups , have installed the wavy washer and seal on the non drive side and then offered the crank to the spindle and have correctly torqued the crank arm but it still does not spin very freely .
  • Non drive side is the spring washer then rubber washer on top, put the crank on and torque it up.

if you are only getting 1 free spin you have more than likely done it right.

that is all I got on my caad10 build.

I think its something to do with amazingly tight tolerances.
    Wilier Cento Uno SR 2013 in Fluro Yellow
    Cannondale Caad10 2014 in BLACK!!