Medical certificate for French sportives

dabber
dabber Posts: 1,928
edited December 2013 in Road general
I'm considering doing a sportive in southwest France towards the end of August. It's in an area that I regularly ride and the route looks good.

My understanding is that you need a medical certificate if you aren't a member of a club.... and in France you need a certificate to join a club.

My French riding buddy thinks that If you are a member of a club in the UK, they assume you had to have a certificate to join the club (whether you have or not). All you have to do is send a copy of your club membership with your entry.

Has anyone any practical experience of this, and was it straightforward?

PS. I am a member of a UK club
“You may think that; I couldn’t possibly comment!”

Wilier Cento Uno SR/Wilier Mortirolo/Specialized Roubaix Comp/Kona Hei Hei/Calibre Bossnut

Comments

• My wife entered Marrakech marathon (ok it's running and not cycling) and they wanted a medical certificate for non-residents of the country. She got a letter from her GP that they were happy to accept. I believe he charged her around £20 for it.
  • I did the Morzine sportive and presented the following certificate after sending a letter to my doctor. This is a template from the company running the sportive.

http://www.sportcommunication.info/web2 ... icatgb.pdf

The organisers did check it so it's definitely worth doing.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Or forge your own. Plenty of runners do this for foreign events.
  • I know this subject was bought up two years ago when I did the Etape du Tour and there were a wide range of answers from some people being charged £145 for a full medical to get the letter to other (including myself) having their gp's sign letters for nothing. Seemed to be luck of the draw really but a lot of sportives have a letter with specific wording that you either print off or have to have a letter with that wording in it.
  • ju5t1n
    ju5t1n Posts: 2,028
    A British Cycling racing licence is acceptable too. I've used mine several times in France
  • dabber
    OK, thanks for the replies. It looks like I'll have to investigate more and prepare as necessary. So far it looks like no one has got away with just presenting them with their UK club membership card.
    If I can get a free/cheapo doctors sign off then OK but I wouldn't be into spending a bomb on getting it.

Wilier Cento Uno SR/Wilier Mortirolo/Specialized Roubaix Comp/Kona Hei Hei/Calibre Bossnut
  • Langlais
    Langlais Posts: 21
    edited December 2013
    I've lived in France on and off for 25 years (more on than off) and I've done quite a range of sportives during that time. Practice varies but do not presume that an organizer will consider membership of a UK club as proof of having a medical certificate. By way of an example, I'm a member of a French club affiliated with the French Cycletouring Club and I need a certificate to do a sportive. Most organisers will request or demand a certificate (in French) either at the time of entry, shortly afterwards or on the day of the event when you collect your number. As mentioned above, Sport Communication (organisers of the Marmotte etc.) have a model certificate on their web site. As long as it's signed (and better still rubber-stamped by a doctor - French GPs usually have a stamp with their name and sometimes address on it), it'll generally be OK. Whether you actually see a GP for it or do it yourself is up to you... Very occasionally, if it's hectic at the event registration, you might slip through by feigning ignorance but don't count on it.
  • dabber
    Thanks for that. Very useful, I get the picture. This particular sportive isn't one of the big alpine sportives but is in the Lot (46) and as I know about half of the route it looks interesting.

• Dabber wrote:
    I'm considering doing a sportive in southwest France towards the end of August. It's in an area that I regularly ride and the route looks good.

My understanding is that you need a medical certificate if you aren't a member of a club.... and in France you need a certificate to join a club.

My French riding buddy thinks that If you are a member of a club in the UK, they assume you had to have a certificate to join the club (whether you have or not). All you have to do is send a copy of your club membership with your entry.

Has anyone any practical experience of this, and was it straightforward?

PS. I am a member of a UK club
    Double check with the event organiser, knowing the French as i feel i do you need to be sure. Just out of interest which on have you entered?
  • dabber
    Don't worry... I will be checking with them. I well know French bureaucracy.

I haven't entered this yet as it depends whether we will be in France on the date. The event is called La Velotoise and starts from Figeac in the departement of the Lot (46). The route is different from this years one and there are three routes available. They head into the area where I do a lot of my riding in France. All river valleys and limestone cliffs... very beautiful.

The actual website is http://www.lavelotoise.com/ but I'm struggling with the navigation for info on 2014.
    However this blog http://sebsyl82.over-blog.com/2013/12/v%C3%A9lotoise-2014-les-nouveaux-parcours.html gives the 2014 routes and profile. A French friend on mine did this years and I think it was pretty tough as temperatures had risen in the high 30's.

• Know the event well as i live just up the road and spent 2 seasons with the VC Figeac. Last rode the event 4 yrs ago but its a great parcours. Be warned every event since ive been there has been run in 35c heat, except this year which was mild at 22c. The middle distance and the longer distance are basically road races run over hilly terrain. The longest climb is about a steady 5 percent over about 5kms if memory serves me right.
    Anything you need to know on the area or whatever dont hesitae to ask or even pm me. If not enjoy the day cos the area is stunning.
  • dabber
    Thanks. We've got a house towards the western end of the 2014 course... a bit south of Labastide Murat. We spend about a third of the year there. Sometimes I ride out towards Cras, Cours, Vers (occasionally Cahors) but a lot of the time I head into Cabrerets and Cele valley (Sauliac, Marcilhac, St Chels) heading up and over to St Martin Labouval or Cajarc.
    Before we headed back to the UK last summer the temperature was around 35 degrees so I'm pretty wary of not getting too fried. Might see you on the road sometime.

• I live just over the border in the Aveyron but get out to Cajarc and the Cele valley for rides. Really beautiful area and such quiet roads. If you fancy racing down there the Figeac is reforming after being disbanded last season. Used to be one of the strongest clubs in the Midi Pyrenees 4 to 5 seasons ago. If you pop into the bike shop in Figeac and chat to Julien he will put you straight. Plus if you never get up the hill to Peyrusse le Roc and you see a RHD Ford Focus parked up call in for a brew.
    Back to the Velotoise you want to get a feeder as really 4 bottles is better if its toasty, which it normally is.
  • dabber
    Thanks for that. I don't race but I do plan to ride into Figeac sometime. I haven't done that yet.

If I do end up doing this I'll probably do the 110km route and interestingly, pretty much at the 55km point is St Martin Labouval which is one of my regular eau potable stops (tucked in down the side of the church)... but I think SWMBO would probably take pity on me and provide some support.

Btw... thanks for the offer of a brew. :D

• giropaul
    giropaul Posts: 414
    A medical certificate is a legal requirement for cycling (and other) sporting events in France - it isn't the organisers decision.

A UCI affiliated (i.e. British Cycling) licence (not just membership) will do (every other country requires a medical to get a racing licence and they haven't cottoned on that we don't). Otherwise, a medical certificate IN THE FORM PUBLISHED ON THE ORGANISATION'S WEBSITE. There are companies that offer these, as well as your own GP.

And yes, they do check. There's often a "Leisure" or similar category available for those without - a shorter distance and no time requirements usually.

For about £100 maximum for whatever you need for the year it isn't worth trying to get round it. I've seen people turned away from an event they have spent several hundred getting to.
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Yes, British Cycling racing license does the trick as most countries require cyclists to take a medical before issuing a license.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • dabber
    Well, as I'm not a member of British Cycling and don't have a race license that isn't an option for me.

So far I haven't been able to find a medical certificate form on the organiser's website but I'll investigate this more.

Thanks for the inputs anyway.

• If you are really in doubt the organiser is/was called Marco and here is is mobile number 0033 616736303. For a Frenchie he's not a bad lad and if you tell him Matt Ellis gave him your no he should be able to advice what you need. He even speaks abit of the Queens so unless you speak french all is good.
  • As you have a house here can you not just go to the doctor here, it would only cost €23 and would have the benefit of being in French?

I rode the Velotoise last year and it was extremely hot, it was already in the 30's at the start and was about 40 odd by afternoon!

If you are here earlier in the year then there is La Marmotte D'olt at St Geniez which is a well organised event with a ride over the Aubrac plateau. Or there is also L'Octogonale in May, which is just south of Rodez and has some beautiful scenery along the river Tarn and the Millau viaduct thrown in too, though sadly you don't get to ride over it.

I'm near Villefranche de Rouergue and often head out Cajarc way so might see you round sometime.
  • dabber
    Thanks for that Matt. I may well give Marco a call. My written French is OK but my listening French (especially on the phone) is a bit ropey but as an aside my French riding buddy has said he will give the organisres a call although the name he told me wasn't Marco. Either way, I'll get to the bottom of it and thanks for your help. Much appreciated.

lemuppet. Your French doctor suggestion would make a lot of sense. So far, since we've had the house, I haven't had need to see the doctor but that shouldn't be hard to sort out and €23 isn't bad.
    Yes, I'd heard the temperature on the day last year were very high... a bit challenging to say the least. Your other suggestions for events might be interesting. Not too far away from where we are.
    We'll probably be back in France around next Easter for a few weeks... then back again in May/June... then July???
    but we haven't decided yet. See you on the road. :D

• cougie wrote:
    Or forge your own. Plenty of runners do this for foreign events.

We have done this for the last few years at the Le Mans 24hr event, lots of people registered at the South Brixton Medical centre... They haven't even looked at them, just checking that you have something
  • I've done a Sportcommunication event the last two years with a certificate that wasn't entirely genuine. In 2012 there was no comeback, this year I got an email after the event asking me to supply a medical certificate or be classed as a "randonneur". I'm not sure whether they'd lost the certificate or realised it was a copy. I didn't bother to send anything and as far as I can tell the only impact is that I couldn't earn points towards the Grand Trophee series.

Next year I'm taking part in the Novecolli and have been told that a BC membership card will suffice. If it turns out that it needs to be a "race" membership I'll upgrade it nearer the time.