Custom moldable grips

an_original_name
an_original_name Posts: 339
edited December 2013 in MTB general

Comments

• warpcow
    warpcow Posts: 1,448
    Nice idea, but not convinced. They're only moulded to your hands as they sit in one position. The ability to mould different patterns into the grips is interesting though.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Its a terrible idea. They will force you to keep your hands in one position. After an hour on the bike tgats going to get uncomfortable.
  • Its a terrible idea. They will force you to keep your hands in one position. After an hour on the bike tgats going to get uncomfortable.

Perfect for DH, Enduro, 4x, BMX where you need maximum control!
  • There is some mega turd ideas on the kickstarter thing, this is one of them.
  • rockmonkeysc
    jamesl3ell wrote:
    Its a terrible idea. They will force you to keep your hands in one position. After an hour on the bike tgats going to get uncomfortable.

I wouldn't want them on my DH bike. My hand position certainly isn't static when riding and I don't want to have to worry about getting my fingers back in the perfect position after braking, shifting or just getting bounced around.
  • Hi Everyone,

I just want to be clear with everyone that I am one of the co-founders of TMR Designs and the Imprint Grip. I hope this does not come across as spamming or breaching any forum rules but if it does we are sorry and we fully understand if this thread is removed.

Thank-you all for your comments/feedback (good and bad), we really do want to hear what you guys think of our product, so thank you for discussing.

I will try and answer some of your questions.

RockmonkeySC - We have been testing this product for over a year.  This included a 900 mile road tour and lapping Fort William DH. We have had no complaints of your hands becoming uncomfortable whilst using these grips. In fact it was the exact opposite, because your hand is fully supported the pressure is evenly distributed so you don't feel the need to adjust your hand position during long rides.

In relation to your last point about your hand moving a lot during riding, why do you think your hands move that much? We originally had this concern also but again our tests have not shown this to be the case, our hands only moved a fraction of an amount.  You certainly don't need to worry about finding your grip again during a ride because your grip will be moulded to your natural position and we found that your hand just automatically goes back to this position even when getting bounced around and changing gear/braking etc. We have also found that the ruts that you mould into the grip actually help to stop your hands being bounced off the handlebars.

We have a lot of requests off various bike magazines to put the Imprint Grips through its paces and we are working hard to get some prototype grips out ASAP. Hopefully, these reviews will also help to address your concerns.

I hope this has helped to answer your questions but if not feel free to contact us at info@tmrdesigns.com

Thanks again for your comments and we hope you will give them a go.

Kind Regards,

Rob@TMR Designs.
  • rockmonkeysc
    I think that like 90% of kickstarter ideas you have designed a product because you can, not because it's needed.
    Over the last couple years I have seen quite a few kickstarter projects through graduates I have interviewed for design jobs. Nearly all have basically been uni projects which have gone too far. The problem with uni projects is that they come from an idea of what can be made to show off design ability rather than evolving from a need to solve a problem.
    The other problem I have with kickstarter is that if you have an idea you believe in then find it yourself the old fashioned way. Work your arse off in a job to earn as much as you can to launch your product rather than expecting others to take the risk.
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    Don't buy them then? I thin they're an interesting concept. Not too fussed personally, but can see the appeal.
  • jamesl3ell wrote:

I wouldn't want them on my DH bike. My hand position certainly isn't static when riding and I don't want to have to worry about getting my fingers back in the perfect position after braking, shifting or just getting bounced around.

I think you would be surprised if you tried them, I have been using a prototype set almost identical to the finished product on my downhill bike for nearly a year and wouldn't go back to standard grips. I would recommend sliding them on the bar and molding them in the attack position. Your hands will always have a certain position on the bar that feels right wether or not you are using molded grips, the position of the brake levers and gear shifters make sure of this. You will notice that worn grips always wear in the same place too.
    Just to clarify I know the TMR Design guys but I'm not connected to the company, I test them for free because I like riding bikes.
  • On my mountain bike (enduro race build) I find that molding them in the attack position is best. When you sit down your hands will still be in the same position to use the brakes and gear shifter, The wrists take care of the majority of the difference in position.
  • rockmonkeysc
    What if you don't get it quite right when you mould them. Can they be re moulded?
  • declan1
    declan1 Posts: 2,470
    I think that like 90% of kickstarter ideas you have designed a product because you can, not because it's needed.
    Over the last couple years I have seen quite a few kickstarter projects through graduates I have interviewed for design jobs. Nearly all have basically been uni projects which have gone too far. The problem with uni projects is that they come from an idea of what can be made to show off design ability rather than evolving from a need to solve a problem.
    The other problem I have with kickstarter is that if you have an idea you believe in then find it yourself the old fashioned way. Work your ars* off in a job to earn as much as you can to launch your product rather than expecting others to take the risk.

Do you literally just moan about everything?

Personally, I think it sounds like a good idea. Moldable shoes get great reviews and moldable grips will surely provide much of the same benefits.

If nobody pushed the boundaries and just kept producing products that fitted the trend, nothing would ever move on.

Road - Dolan Preffisio
    MTB - On-One Inbred

I have no idea what's going on here.
  • Its a terrible idea. They will force you to keep your hands in one position. After an hour on the bike tgats going to get uncomfortable.

I was thinking about what you said today whilst riding (3 hours 38 minutes in the Lake District) and can say this is not an issue. Going uphill and along the flat a relaxed grip is comfortable, the extra demand on the grip going downhill and through rough sections is where the grips shine. I used to occasionally hold the ends of my bars whilst climbing to mix thing up, I don't find the need to do this anymore. Doing that is fine with the grips though as is thumbs over the top to bring the elbows in. I currently have one Impring grip and one ODI Troy Lee grip on my mountain bike for comparison.
  • What if you don't get it quite right when you mould them. Can they be re moulded?

Yeah I wasn't happy after doing a set once so just heated them again. I've also re-heated them to push a little material away from my thumb for shifting up a full stroke on the gear shifter. They were later done again with the mesh over them.
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    Lots of people are happy riding with Ergons etc, and this just takes that same idea but with the twist of the custom fit, which can't be bad really can it?
    Uncompromising extremist
  • Northwind wrote:
    Lots of people are happy riding with Ergons etc, and this just takes that same idea but with the twist of the custom fit, which can't be bad really can it?

Exactly! I've used Ergons in the past but like other grips they only come in 2 sizes which is pretty much still a "one size fits all". Imprint Grips is the only way to get a perfect fit.
    Custom fitting is already around with shoe sizes and insoles and saddle choice is an extremely personal one (Brooks saddles mould to your shape after plenty of use) so it would seem grips is an obvious place to improve comfort and performance.