Shimano Freewheel

f00dl3a
f00dl3a Posts: 2
edited December 2013 in Commuting general
Do Shimano freewheels come by default with one of the highest geared teeth kind of sheared on one side of the tooth? I have a freewheel that I think is causing the chain to skip when in the highest gear because (I thought I caused it by improperly removing an old chain with plyers) it has a sheared tooth, but when I ordered a replacement on Amazon there is a tooth sheared in the same fashion. I returned this and the replacement they sent me has the same exact problem.

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Yes, the teeth are profiled.
  • MichaelW
    MichaelW Posts: 2,164
    Pre-worn teeth are a feature, not a bug; they aid snappy shifting with indexed gear levers.
    It is usual for worn chains to skip with new freewheels. You should usually change the chain with the freewheel.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Not pre-worn, profiled, shaped or formed!

As stated a worn chain with a new freewheel can skip, as can a new chain on a worn freewheel. Have you measured the chain wear?
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • If it still skips after changing the chain it's likely your indexing needs a tweek.
  • owenlars
    owenlars Posts: 719
    Over a few thousand miles a chain and a cassette wear together to create a mutually compliant shape where the chain and the cassette teeth engage. If you replace the chain without replacing the cassette you remove one half of this mutual compliance which means that the new chain, which does not have a shape that is compliant with your old cassette, is likely to ride up the old shape teeth causing skipping.

The way to deal with this is to change the chain every 1500 or so miles (or when your chain wear tool - any LBS will sell you one- indicates it to be necessary). In this way the you can get away with replacing the cassette every 5000-6000 miles. The alternative is to leave chain and cassette until they are both completely worn out and replace both at the same time. This link to Sheldon brown explains all.

http://sheldonbrown.com/chains.html

The profiled teeth on the cassette are entirely normal