My 2 - Dolan L'Etape and Guerciotti Record

dulwichiron
dulwichiron Posts: 86
edited May 2014 in Your road bikes
First the winter/commuter bike, Guerciotti Record. Has full Campag Veloce groupset (except cranks which are Centaur) with Campag Khamsin wheels. Had tiny gap between tires and frame so am using Race Blade longs which I think are great.

11358882103_ea2ff51bee_b.jpg

Second the sunshine bike, Dolan L'Etape. Again Campag Veloce groupset with Miche RX5 wheels

11358784976_634ec98a4b_b.jpg

Comments

• As above, the Dolan looks a great buy for the money.
    Ribble Ultralite Racing 7005, Campagnolo Veloce groupset, Campagnolo Khamsin G3 wheel set
  • Yeah and even better as I got it on the cycle to work scheme. I must say it does look much better in the flesh, the glossy paintwork doesn't seem to come out to well in photos.
  • Is that a quick release seatpost bolt on the Gerch?
    When a cyclist has a disagreement with a car; it's not who's right, it's who's left.
  • I must confess it is! I snapped the original bolt by over tightening it and used the one from my old mountain bike as a temporary measure to get me to work. TBH I had forgot all about it, I need to get shopping.
  • trek_dan
    trek_dan Posts: 1,366
    The Dolan is very nice, I have a thing for Dolans. Is the L'Etape a repainted Hercules SL, looks identical to my best bike.
  • trek_dan wrote:
    The Dolan is very nice, I have a thing for Dolans. Is the L'Etape a repainted Hercules SL, looks identical to my best bike.

I believe it is yes. However I think the hercules came with a fork with carbon steerer and and carbon seatpost so slightly different config.
  • Hi.

My finger is hovering over the button to buy the l'etape veloce and I just have a few questions.

What is the bike like to ride in terms of stability, stiffness, feed back to rider and comfort?

Weight. I've trawled the internet to try find a weight for the overall bike but to no avail. I can see on Dolans site that they list the frame as weighing 1.2kg. So what does it weigh?

Thanks in advance,

Greg.
  • Rojales
    Rojales Posts: 26
    Hi Greg,
    I have a Hercules SL size 44, weight of frame with a BB insert is 1.15kg and full carbon fork 390g.

Baz
  • Greg-78 wrote:
    Hi.

My finger is hovering over the button to buy the l'etape veloce and I just have a few questions.

What is the bike like to ride in terms of stability, stiffness, feed back to rider and comfort?

Weight. I've trawled the internet to try find a weight for the overall bike but to no avail. I can see on Dolans site that they list the frame as weighing 1.2kg. So what does it weigh?

Thanks in advance,

Greg.

Hi Greg,

I've not ridden a carbon bike before so what I say next should be taken with that in mind also shamefully because of the bloody horrible weather I've only been out on it 3 or 4 times since I got it however it is a great ride. It is wonderfully stiff, the way it accelerates is fantastic (the traffic light drag race is great fun on it) and it flies up hills. I would say it is comparable to the steel bike in comfort and certainly the few rides I've had on it I've not had any issues.

I did weigh it when I got it unscientifically on the bathroom scales and it was something like 8 & 1/2 kg. Mine is the large size and that is with the heavy wheels and tires it comes with.

As mentioned it seems to be a repainted Hercules so this review may help http://www.dolan-bikes.com/media/wysiwy ... review.jpg
  • Hi.

Thanks for the swift replies, really helpful. The article is a good read too.

I rang Dolan today and asked what l'etape weighs. With the wheels I want he said around 17lb mark even for the 56 frame. That translates into old money as 7.75kg. Not bad, I'd have been happy at 8kg for the biggest frame. There are a few things I think I would up grade over time which would make it that bit lighter as well (the ali seat post and the ali stemmed forks)

Think I'm going to order tonight then all I've got to do is patiently wait for spring to come round and the mass of sportives I've entered. Although I don't think I'll take it to do the cobbles of Paris-Roubaix!

Thanks again.

Greg.
  • RideOnTime
    RideOnTime Posts: 4,712
    nice...
  • polyx
    polyx Posts: 112
    Dolan L'Etape looks business!
    Are you happy with it so far ? What size your frame ? Is it stiff enough for powerful sprints/ heavy climbs ? :) Cheers!
  • Am building L'Etape myself at the moment, will have some picks up in a couple of days once complete.
  • polyx wrote:
    Dolan L'Etape looks business!
    Are you happy with it so far ? What size your frame ? Is it stiff enough for powerful sprints/ heavy climbs ? :) Cheers!

It is a large size (or 52cm in Dolan sizing). Very happy with it so far although according to Strava I have only put 260 miles on it so far, damm weather! As for heavy climbs, I did get out on it yesterday and on one of the local hills (Star Hill near Bromley) I managed to knock 30secs off my PB. Now obviously that cant all be because of the bike but it definitely helps!
  • polyx
    polyx Posts: 112
    It is a large size (or 52cm in Dolan sizing). Very happy with it so far although according to Strava I have only put 260 miles on it so far, damm weather! As for heavy climbs, I did get out on it yesterday and on one of the local hills (Star Hill near Bromley) I managed to knock 30secs off my PB. Now obviously that cant all be because of the bike but it definitely helps!

Many thanks for information provided.
  • Greg-78
    Greg-78 Posts: 3
    Hi all.

So I bought L'tape in late January and have slowly been changing a few things on it to my liking/fit over the winter and early spring months.

When I bought the bike I upgraded the wheels to Mavic Ksyrium SLS. Changes I have made are Specialized Romin Evo Pro saddle, 3T bars, specialized 100mm stem, 12-16 cassette, Continental GP 4000 tyres, Planet X carbon bottle holders, Planet X titanium quick release spindles and Planet X machined brake callipers. Weight is pretty much 7.5kg now with pedals.

I've been riding the bike the past couple weeks including short blasts and a fast 130miler. I've never ridden any other carbon bike so have nothing to compare it to but my winter hack and how I faired against similar ability riders on their bikes. It climbs well being able to use 3 or 4 gears higher easily. On descents its stable, no twitchiness and follows the line you choose being able to flick round pot holes with ease. On the flat it easily maintains a higher speed for longer and when you want to play and put your foot through the pedal it responds and accelerates quickly.

Really happy with the bike. I have a few more upgrades in mind when the time comes but for now i'll work on improving the thing that powers it!

Cheers.