Swapping tiagra 4600 to 105 5700 levers . Easy?

Multistrada
Multistrada Posts: 9
edited December 2013 in Workshop
I can't poke up with the side exit gear cables on my croix de fer so I've ordered some 105 levers in Merlin's sale (£100). Can anyone tell my if they are easy to swop over? They come with inner gear cables, will I need new outer gear cables and what about brake cables? Lastly are they easy to set up? Thanks all.

Comments

• Swapping STIs over is easy as they fit with just a simple clamp and bolt - if you remove them carefully you could re-use the outers but would need to shorten the gear ones for under the bar tape routing I would imagine. Outers are pretty cheap though so if you have cable cutters why not get new?

One thing to check though - I recently bought a Shimano 105 5700 FD to use with SRAM shifters as previous Shimano FDs have always been compatible with SRAM STIs. After much heartache I discovered that Shimano changed the cable pull ratio on that model series and they are no longer compatible with SRAM mechs. Now I am not sure if they are compatible with older series Shimano mechs but maybe wise to check before you open them up and so can't return them - I am assuming your mechs are also older series Tiagra and a bit of Googling will tell you what models 5700 STIs are compatible with.

mMM checking the Q&A here http://www.wiggle.co.uk/shimano-105-570 ... lever-set/ it looks like it should work as long as your old mechs are double FD and 10Sp RD - sorry if I raised an uneccesary concern (meant well honest!)
  • buckles
    buckles Posts: 694
    Tiagra is 9 speed. You will need a 10 speed rear derailleur, 10 speed cassette and 10 speed chain.

EDIT: You may be OK with a 9 speed derailleur .... but if you keep the 9 speed Tiagra cassette your indexing is going to be f***ed
    25% off your first MyProtein order: sign up via https://www.myprotein.com/referrals.lis ... EE-R29Y&li or use my referral code LEE-R29Y
  • Thanks for replays, bike has 2013 tiagra which is ten speed. Should be ok then ??
  • buckles
    buckles Posts: 694
    Haha I totally forgot Tiagra changed to 10 speed. :oops:

I even have a 10 speed Tiagra chainset on my bike (but 9speed everything else)
    25% off your first MyProtein order: sign up via https://www.myprotein.com/referrals.lis ... EE-R29Y&li or use my referral code LEE-R29Y
  • topdude
    topdude Posts: 1,557
    I can't poke up with the side exit gear cables on my croix de fer
    Anyone care to decipher this sentence, haven't a clue what it means :?
    He is not the messiah, he is a very naughty boy !!
  • topdude wrote:
    I can't poke up with the side exit gear cables on my croix de fer
    Anyone care to decipher this sentence, haven't a clue what it means :?
    Yes Pal,
    Can't poke up with = I do not like and would rather not have
    Side exit gear cables = on my gear shifter / brake levers the gear cables exit out the side of the hoods
    Croix de fer = this is a steel framed bicycle from the Genesis brand of cycles.

Hope this helps :wink:
  • topdude
    topdude Posts: 1,557
    Ah,must be getting old, not heard "poke up with" before :?
    Will try to fit it into a conversation today :wink:
    He is not the messiah, he is a very naughty boy !!
  • topdude wrote:
    I just read it as typo/miscommunication of ... can't put up with the cable poking out of the side ...
  • topdude wrote:
    I just read it as typo/miscommunication of ... can't put up with the cable poking out of the side ...

+1

I read lots of strange typos and just assume that people are posting with mobiles that have autocomplete switched on and it does not recognise bike terminology. Alternatively no-one cares about grammar anymore? Or grandpa for that matter :lol:
  • Got them puppy's bosched on the shuv a piece of pish. Sure look purdy now bah.