Tyres for Snowdon

kevinharley
kevinharley Posts: 554
edited December 2013 in MTB beginners
Hi,

Currently run nobby nic 2.25 on my HT most of the time, and generally like (except in craggy mud where they're hopeless!)

Off to Wales at Easter, and we'll be doing Snowdon, and think I'll need something bigger and beefier ... Also needs to be pretty cheap (as close to £20 per tyre as possible) as I'll likely need 4 tyres (2 for me and 2 for my son)

Chunky Monkeys have been recommended ... Any thoughts on this? Run on back and front, or pair with Smorgasbord on the rear (or is the smorgasbord pretty similar to the NN?) .. If not, any other recommendations?

Thanks

Edit - wrong forum ... Meant to be in 'buying advice' ... Mods, can you move please? Thanks

Comments

• rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    What's wrong with the Nobby Nics?
    There's a good chance of lots of ice high up in easter and possibly snow.
  • Stick with your nics. Superb tyre.
    Personally I wouldn't skimp on tyres, but if £20 is your budget (and if you're getting four then I can see where you're coming from) then get the wire bead ones. The triple compound ones are excellent though, highly recommend, and they won't be one track wonders as they're good for just about anything. Alternatives are high rollers or mountain kings. If you're determined to get something beefier then there is the baron or the hans damph.
    Community police have been on the look out for a vandal by the name of \'The Elusive Lout\'. Any information you could give would be gratefully received.
  • It will still boil down to rider capability
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    It will still boil down to rider capability

Non sequitur anyone?
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools