Wheel truing question?

on-yer-bike
on-yer-bike Posts: 2,974
edited December 2013 in Workshop
Is it OK to tweak the truing with the tyre still on the wheel? Should it be deflated?
Pegoretti
Colnago
Cervelo
Campagnolo

Comments

• Is it OK to tweak the truing with the tyre still on the wheel? Should it be deflated?

Not sure what the wheelbuilding experts will say but FWIW I've successfully tweaked wheels a few times with tyres still on. That said it was literally only a tweak to correct a couple of mms of lateral off-set in one area. Anything more than that I would take the tyre of to be able to check radial as well.
  • No objections, but you will do a better job removing the tyre altogether... it is distracting once on the truing stand and you can't judge very well
    left the forum March 2023
  • buckles
    buckles Posts: 694
    Depends how easy it is to remove and re-install the tyre. I always used to do it with the tyre on if tyre removal was a hassle, but as wishitwasallflat* says, you need it removed to check radial trueness.

*10 points for subtly using foul language in your username. Much less offensive than that 'FECES' bloke...
    25% off your first MyProtein order: sign up via https://www.myprotein.com/referrals.lis ... EE-R29Y&li or use my referral code LEE-R29Y
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    I've "heard" that deflating the tire is the way to go. It's what I do. Don't understand why you wouldn't deflate it. :wink:
  • desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    I'd have the tyre off. I usually run a bit of oil around the nipples an hour or so before I'm due to work on it to make life a bit easier if it's not a new-ish wheel - don't want that on the tyres.
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}