SKS Raceblade long with 25mm tyres

wishitwasallflat
wishitwasallflat Posts: 2,927
edited December 2013 in Road buying advice
These
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/sks- ... lsrc=aw.ds

say 18-23 tyres but do they work with 25mm tyres - do they give enough coverage or would I be better with the Clip on Raceblade Xls which are rated 23-32

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/sks- ... -prod25796

I fancy the extra length with the longs and (possibly?) more secure fitting system but if they aren't wide enough for 25mm tyres they are no use to me.

PS - Sick of rattly Cruds!

Comments

• bigpikle
    bigpikle Posts: 1,690
    you'll need XLs....far too tight on the longs and they will clog in no time.

The XLs have small clip on extensions but you might want an extra rear flap if riding in groups etc. I didnt notice any difference in fitting system - the XLs are very secure on my bike and went on in <5 mins.
    Your Past is Not Your Potential...
  • Depends on your riding as to whether they will clog.

I used raceblade longs on a defy frame, with 25s and they fitted and worked with no rubbing.
  • Cheers guys - my commute is half filthy country roads and half filthy town roads so probably XLs best for me
  • I've got them on my Spec Roubaix (topical I know!) with 25mm GP4Seasons. They took a little bit of tinkering (1/2hr max) to set up in the right position but once done they run fine without rubbing. I used them over in Holland a few weeks ago riding through all sorts of sh#t* and of course they get filthy and pick up the odd bit of muck on the inside, but not that bad, and never clogged up yet

* Literally at times, but mainly leaves, mud, sand, grass. That's the Dutch cycle network for you in places, nice path, smooth tarmac, then whoa, WTF... where did the path go! I learned to stick to the main roads after a few days :-).
  • I'm running the longs with 25mm gatorskins no problem.
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    I run an Allez with 25mm Ultremos and the Raceblade Longs, works very well and there is more than enough room. Sure, excessive mud and leaves can cause a problem but there's not many bikes that can cope with that.

On a recent club run, a farmer had been out and got a small section of road caked in mud and it was mainly the chaps with Cruds that needed to stop and clear the mud out afterwards.
  • arlowood
    arlowood Posts: 2,561
    The fit might depend on your tyre choice to some extent.

Got my summer wheels back after a fettle by Ugo and fitted some Ultremo ZX 25mm to them. I immediately noted a difference in profile between them and the GP 4000s's (again 25mm) on my current winter wheels.

A rough measure showed the Ultremo's to be 22mm from rim to road contact point on the tyre whereas the Conti's came in at 24mm for the same measurement.

Not a huge difference but the profile of the tyre might just make the difference in achieving a satisfactory set up
  • Thanks folks swinging back to longs as I run mostly Conti GP4000s so if Gatorskins work reckon these should as well. I'm not overly bothered if I go through mud and they then rub till they are cleaned out - it's the continually rub, squeak, whine of Cruds that I need to escape.

Reckon I'll take a punt on the longs as the XLs look seriously short.
  • ratsbeyfus
    ratsbeyfus Posts: 2,841
    Yep - got longs with 25mm Conti-4 Seasons. Plenty of room, no problem.

I had one of them red bikes but I don't any more. Sad face.

@ratsbey
  • NeXXus
    NeXXus Posts: 854
    No problem :)
    And the people bowed and prayed, to the neon god they made.
  • Omar Little
    Omar Little Posts: 2,010
    Longs with 25c Durano Plus, only issue is that to get it to fit without rubbing it doesnt look quite so neat as it did when it was 23c fitted
  • Well to finish this of in case it comes up on a search - fitted the Raceblade Longs yesterday and they run fine with Michelin Pro4 Endurance 25mm on my Secteur - no rubbing at all and feel very very stable. They rattle a bit on rough roads but heh the Cruds rattled a lot and rubbed so at least they are the lesser of two evils. If I ever get a Winter bike its going have bosses for full guards.
  • Great news.

Hopefully the wind will drop a bit so it's safe to get out. The difference with guards in wet weather is night and day.