Planet X Carbon tubs

chadders81
chadders81 Posts: 744
edited December 2013 in Road buying advice
Can anybody give me a reason I shouldn't get some PX carbon tubulars?

They look phenomenal value. I don't care about braking performance because I'm only going to race crits on them so probably never going to go near a hairy descent.

If I bought an 11-speed compatible wheel, can I run it with a 10 speed cassette by using a spacer? I presume I can.

Also - will I want 50mm for racing? Would anything deeper be too deep?

Alternative is to buy some Chinese rims and get them built up. I've not heard great things about the build quality of factory direct eBay wheels.

I know they won't necessarily make me faster, but I like buying stuff and making my bike look stealthy.

Comments

• buckles
    buckles Posts: 694
    50mm might be a bit hard to handle in windy conditions, especially side winds, but fine on still days.

Yes you can use 9 or 10sp cassette on 11sp freehub with a spacer.

I think the hubs, if they're the ones I think they are, are a bit crap (not a fan of little cartridge bearings) but if you don't mind changing the bearings regularly then it might not be an issue for you. You will probably only need to change them once a year anyway if they're only used for racing in dry weather... I got two seasons out of mine before they became rough.
    25% off your first MyProtein order: sign up via https://www.myprotein.com/referrals.lis ... EE-R29Y&li or use my referral code LEE-R29Y
  • Buy the rims only and get them built up on a decent hub. Should serve you well.
  • herzog
    herzog Posts: 197
    The Planet X branded Novatech hub is decent, unless there's something my wheels aren't telling me.
  • The fact they're now £299 kind of clinched it for me...

http://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/WPPXCAR700 ... et-no-logo
  • Chadders81 wrote:
    The fact they're now £299 kind of clinched it for me...

They are tubulars
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • buckles
    buckles Posts: 694
    Chadders81 wrote:
    The fact they're now £299 kind of clinched it for me...

They are tubulars
    *groan* :roll:

:lol:
    25% off your first MyProtein order: sign up via https://www.myprotein.com/referrals.lis ... EE-R29Y&li or use my referral code LEE-R29Y
  • Terrible pun. Forgiven as it is the season of good will. Good deal though but still like the look of the 45mm version.
  • I've had a few pair of PX carbon wheels/rims.

I've currently got a pair of the 50mm tubular rims buil up on some Tune Mig/Mag hubs. Proper light and with the better hubs they are not a million miles away from my ENVE's which cost 3 times as much.

Also just bought a pair of the CT45 tubulars - rims appear to be a step on from the 50mm but the same std hubs.

I'm going to get these built up on some Chris King's - will again be almost as good as my ENVE's for less than half the price.

The other thing to bear in mind is resale - you can sell a used set of PX carbon wheels on Ebay for not much less than you've paid !!!

I wouldn't hesitate in buying a built wheel from PX - when and if you think the hub needs changing just get them rebuilt.