The Tunnel

bianchimoon
bianchimoon Posts: 3,942
edited December 2013 in The cake stop
Does anyone else watch this, really gripping well made british/french thriller, but as yet haven't come across anyone else who's watching it. If you haven't and have access to Sky catch-up worth a look, methinks!
All lies and jest..still a man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest....

Comments

• secretsam
    secretsam Posts: 5,098
    I thought you were talking about the Chunnel.

Always reminds me of French conversation classes at school: " le tunnel sous la Manche: rêve ou réalité"?

It's just a hill. Get over it.
  • bianchimoon
    SecretSam wrote:
    I thought you were talking about the Chunnel.

Always reminds me of French conversation classes at school: " le tunnel sous la Manche: rêve ou réalité"?

prog does start of in chunnel with a body half in france and half in england 'literally' :shock:
    All lies and jest..still a man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest....
  • MattC59
    MattC59 Posts: 5,408
    Yep, I'm watching it. Well, I'm a couple of episodes behinds but they're on the Sky box.
    I'm enjoying it.
    Science adjusts it’s beliefs based on what’s observed.
    Faith is the denial of observation so that Belief can be preserved
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    This being the UK version of The Bridge. Just as well we built the bloody thing or this thriller would have had to have been set on the Severn Bridge :lol:
    Faster than a tent.......
  • RDW
    RDW Posts: 1,900
    Rolf F wrote:
    This being the UK version of The Bridge. Just as well we built the bloody thing or this thriller would have had to have been set on the Severn Bridge :lol:

That might not be as crazy as it sounds - after watching a few episodes of Hinterland (Y Gwyll) it looks like Wales can do Scandinavian-style noir pretty well:

http://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio ... noir-wales
    http://www.s4c.co.uk/clic/e_level2.shtm ... =516193014

I enjoyed The Bridge, so not sure about watching a remake - seems a bit superfluous. Has anyone seen both? Apparently there's also a US/Mexico version...
  • bianchimoon
    ahh didn't realise it was a copy, probably wouldn't enjoy it half as much if i'd seen original, still as a first first time round watcher, good viewing.
  • Does anyone else watch this, really gripping well made british/french thriller, but as yet haven't come across anyone else who's watching it. If you haven't and have access to Sky catch-up worth a look, methinks!

Yes! Been watching it, and enjoying it. Obviously low budget; but I haven't seen anything else quite like it and I'm enjoying it for that reason. Yes; it's basically a crime drama but done in, I think a very different way.

From the start Elise reminded me of Elizabeth from The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo and the entire thing seemed very Scandinavian to me; which was before I learned what it was based on.

I'm sure the colour pallete has been chosen deliberately, all blues and greys, never much colour.
  • bianchimoon
    Does anyone else watch this, really gripping well made british/french thriller, but as yet haven't come across anyone else who's watching it. If you haven't and have access to Sky catch-up worth a look, methinks!
    From the start Elise reminded me of Elizabeth from The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo and the entire thing seemed very Scandinavian to me; which was before I learned what it was based on.

I'm sure the colour pallete has been chosen deliberately, all blues and greys, never much colour.

i like her attitude to relationships, ie the barman :lol:
  • RDW wrote:
    Rolf F wrote:

That might not be as crazy as it sounds - after watching a few episodes of Hinterland (Y Gwyll) it looks like Wales can do Scandinavian-style noir pretty well:

http://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio ... noir-wales
    http://www.s4c.co.uk/clic/e_level2.shtm ... =516193014

Have to say I was looking forward to Y Gwyll until I saw it was Richard Harrington and Mali Harries as the two leading actors again (they played brother and sister in Fiction Factory's last big drama Pen Talar) surely there must be some other Welsh speaking actors out there who deserve a break. Although the story lines were good I just find Richard Harrington as the lead totally unwatchable.
  • RDW
    RDW Posts: 1,900
    Have to say I was looking forward to Y Gwyll until I saw it was Richard Harrington and Mali Harries as the two leading actors again (they played brother and sister in Fiction Factory's last big drama Pen Talar) surely there must be some other Welsh speaking actors out there who deserve a break. Although the story lines were good I just find Richard Harrington as the lead totally unwatchable.

Coming to this fresh (not having seen much Welsh language TV since the days of Teliffant!), I thought Harrington carried it off very well. Liked the production, too - atmospheric use of Devil's bridge, creepy abandoned farmhouses, windswept seafront, etc. I guess the pool of actors really is pretty small - you see this in the TV imports from Denmark too (which has nearly double the population of Wales, but probably more than ten times the number of fluent native speakers to choose from):

http://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio ... ing-borgen