Front Deraulier Chain rub

Flâneur
Flâneur Posts: 3,081
edited December 2013 in Workshop
Hello,

I have just replaced my FSA compact crankset/chainring with an SRAM Force. The FD is a Tiagra and I am having a problem trying to ensure that the chain doesn't rub against the FD. I'd be content with just the extreme gears however it seems to be several on both the inner and outer.

I have tried playing with the inside FD screw and it just hasn't really helped, just created allowed for bottom or top to be fine. Is there something else I should do? Buy a new FD?

Bike is a Giant TCR Comp 3.
105 shifters,
Sram force crankset
Tiagra FD
105 rear mech
105 RD
Ultegra chain

Thank you in advance
Stevo 666 wrote: Come on you Scousers! 20/12/2014
Crudder
CX
Toy

Comments

• StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    Have you messed with the FD when changing the crankset and is the crankset the same size as the one you replaced? If so, then the FD should work without issue. But, I'd loosen the cable off, ensure the FD shifter is set for the small ring and adjust the FD over the small ring and biggest sprocket. Once you've got that sorted, reconnect the cable, ensuring it is tight and try shifting up to the big ring. Then start your fine adjustment.
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    sa0u823e wrote:
    I have tried playing with the inside FD screw and it just hasn't really helped,....

I think your main problem may be that you're "playing" with the adjustment screws. Don't play with it. Instead, find out what the process is for adjusting that specific brand and model. Guessing is not the way to go.
  • Flâneur
    Flâneur Posts: 3,081
    Cheers Philthy3 pretty sure I got it sorted.

I had gone through google/parks/GCN to work it out and record everything just hadn't quite worked so decided to ask before I carried on
    Stevo 666 wrote: Come on you Scousers! 20/12/2014
    Crudder
    CX
    Toy
  • StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    Not a problem. FD can be a bit of a nightmare to get set up. I've just had sleepless nights trying to iron out chain rub with a SRAM Force 22 FD. Took today to realise I'd misunderstood the compatibility and SRAM's 22 FDs do not run on 10 speed chain sets without chain rub. SRAM Yaw for 10 speed are compatible and work better than ordinary SRAM FDs even with older group sets.
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.