Brake options

Gambisk
Gambisk Posts: 2
edited December 2013 in MTB buying advice
Hello, my brakes on my rocky mountain slayer are in bad need of some TLC. I've had the bike for a year now and haven't done any maintenance on the brakes they have worked but are prone to a lot of rub and squealing. Now I'm doing a overhaul of the bike this winter and brakes are high on the priority, the items currently fitted are avid elixir 1's or 3's I can't tell and as I'm the 2nd owner I don't have the original spec sheet.

My dilemma is do I spend money on a bleed kit and new pads and the ongoing time and effort of bleeding and adjusting them. My estimate is for £30 for a bleed kit and £15 for pads so £45 all in.

OR

Do I ditch the elixirs and replace them with the new deore M615's which have been getting near universal praise for their performance and ease of maintenance. I guess I could get about £30-40 for elixirs which would negate the cost difference.

What would you do?

Comments

• deore are the best value brake you can buy in my opinion. Had mine on for 12 months now, never had to bleed them, just a pad change every 6 months.
  • .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    +1 for the Deores. Although I've not had any particular problems with Avid brakes Shimano's finest seem to address the common problems of dragging and uneven pad wear & for me they've been fit-and-forget

Performance-wise there's no difference but I have to admit XTs look better and feel better

On the other hand I've heard that it's not possible to get spares for them
  • john2002
    john2002 Posts: 158
    when i got my new deore brake i had to bleed them when they arrived (they said they was pre bleed), so even if you get new brakes factor in the cost of some oil and bleed kit. its something you should need anyway to service your brakes.. also you might want to cut your brake line down to fit your frame and you will need to bleed them also
    GT Avalanche 1.0 Disc 2011, Fixie, frankenbike
  • lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    Deore's. End of thread. Quite frankly I think all Avid brakes should be killed with fire before they lay eggs, ruddy awful
  • Just bought shimano xt of crc for 130, bargain
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Deores are a heap better than Elixirs but you will probably need to bleed them when you shorten the hoses.
    Shimano bleed kits are only £16 and its really east to do.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Epic bleed kits are even cheaper, and easier IMHO.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • bennett_346
    bennett_346 Posts: 5,029
    lawman wrote:
    Deore's. End of thread. Quite frankly I think all Avid brakes should be killed with fire before they lay eggs, ruddy awful
    They are shyte but i've used elixirs for years on several of my main bikes and they're perfectly useable.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    lawman wrote:
    They are shyte but i've used elixirs for years on several of my main bikes and they're perfectly useable.

I went from 2012 Elixir X0's to 2013 Deores and other than weight the deores were better in every way and a quater of the price.
    I have had Elixir 3 and 7 as well and both of them were crap as well.
    Spares prices for Elixirs are terrible as well, £200 for just a single X0 lever body!
  • pesky_jones
    pesky_jones Posts: 2,890
    Deores are a heap better than Elixirs but you will probably need to bleed them when you shorten the hoses.
    Shimano bleed kits are only £16 and its really east to do.
    cooldad wrote:
    Epic bleed kits are even cheaper, and easier IMHO.

And even cheaper - not bleeding at all. But you have to know what your're doing and be carefull.
  • bennett_346
    bennett_346 Posts: 5,029
    lawman wrote:

I went from 2012 Elixir X0's to 2013 Deores and other than weight the deores were better in every way and a quater of the price.
    I have had Elixir 3 and 7 as well and both of them were crap as well.
    Spares prices for Elixirs are terrible as well, £200 for just a single X0 lever body!
    I'd never buy them but they wouldn't get replaced immediately if i bought a bike with them on. They have plenty power and modulation for the riding I do.