wheel and cassette alignment

gloomyandy
gloomyandy Posts: 520
edited December 2013 in Workshop
Hi, I'm toying with getting a new wheel rear to use with my turbo and stop me having to switch tyres when I want to use my bike on the road. So would be looking for a low cost wheel, possibly second hand. My current wheel is 10speed SRAM. One thing I'm not sure about is how well the cassette alignment would match? I don't really want to have to tweak the rear mech every time I swap wheels. Would it just work with any wheel? If not is there any notion of a wheel adjustment that can be used to make it work?

Thanks

Andy

Comments

• get another of the same wheel and fit it with the same cassette, should be as close as you can get.
  • gvh71
    gvh71 Posts: 1
    I've done this recently. Different wheels, but the same type of cassette. I measured the distance from the edge of the frame to the first cog for both wheels then made the distance the same by using spacers. Now no need to adjust the gears when swapping wheels.
  • I have four sets of wheels, two for each of two bikes. I have never had to reset the gears when changing wheels.
    I have only two things to say to that; Bo***cks
  • Hi, thanks for the replies....
    Probably being dumb here, but what spacers? My current wheel and cassette does not seem to have any.

Don't want to get the same wheel as the ones I have are rather expensive for use on the Turbo.

But it sounds like I may be worrying about nothing, if all wheels are built to place the cassette in the same place (or maybe you just got lucky with your wheels?).
  • gloomyandy wrote:

But it sounds like I may be worrying about nothing, if all wheels are built to place the cassette in the same place ).

That is correct. If the wheels and sprockets don't align, then is is a poor quality control issue. Just get the wheels you want and they will be OK. You cannot put spacers in sprocket clusters apart from the ones that are supposed to be there. If you put spacers on the hub axle, you risk misaligning the wheel in the frame. There is no need for either.
    I have only two things to say to that; Bo***cks